Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furious...............

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Furious...............

I am pretty steamed.

I've worked hard to get my financial affairs in order, mostly focusing on paying off debts and bolstering my savings account. Except for my car loan, I am pretty much debt free. I finally reached my goal of having enough for a real dining room set, and on Saturday, I went into the furniture store to buy it. $1,600 cash - no credit cards.

I confidently wrote a check from my investment account, only to have it denied because I have not written a check there before. I mean I have not written a check to a retail store in over five years...and the first time I do, they tell me because I haven't.....to come back in 15 days and they'll consider it?

The store faulted Telecheck, but said they would not override them.

I left the store in tears and just raging furious because I did what the "system" says I'm supposed to do...how it is "supposed" to work. Only to get rejected anyway. This sucks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Furious...............

Does the store take credit cards?   If so do you have a debit card you could use?
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patience?
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have credit cards...two. I just paid them off..and they are now residing in a big chunk of ice in my freezer. I do not want to use credit. I saved nearly a year for the privledge of paying cash....and these people essentially said no.

My debit card account is specificially for fixed expenses, like gas, water, electricity and food.

My money market account is for big-ticket expenses such as my son's tuition...and furniture....
Message 4 of 17
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Ask them if they will give you a dicount for actual cash in hane - fresh crisp dollar bills.  Smiley Very Happy

The credit game is designed to be frustrating  Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That store must have been staffed by idiots. They could have called your bank that day (or the next business day) to confirm sufficient balance. Apparently they didn't need a $1600 sale. It's one thing for a high-volume store (like a supermarket) to rely on Telecheck and the like, but given the size of the transaction and the time available to the furniture store salesperson, it's lazy and/or stupid for them not to make more of an effort.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revike wrote:
That store must have been staffed by idiots. They could have called your bank that day (or the next business day) to confirm sufficient balance. Apparently they didn't need a $1600 sale. It's one thing for a high-volume store (like a supermarket) to rely on Telecheck and the like, but given the size of the transaction and the time available to the furniture store salesperson, it's lazy and/or stupid for them not to make more of an effort.

I agree, I would have been livid!!
I know what it's like when you have your heart set on a particular item that you've fallen in love with and decided you have to have.  So you may not want to go somewhere eles, but honestly, I'd take my sale elsewhere.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would talk to the manager then the owner (depending on the size of the store).  That is a large sale that should not be ignored.  There are other options they can use like holding on to the check till it clears, or calling your financial institution (as mentioned earlier). 
Message 8 of 17
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Yeah I'm a little confused,   If you had it in cash,  could you not pay for it in cash?  Would they not accept a cash payment?    Also why couldn't you deposit that amount into your checking account and then use your debit card?   This is where I am confused.   What type of check were you making out?  A personal check and if so then why would that stop you from using your debit card which is linked to your checking account?

It's not so much the credit world it's the whole paying by check deal.  It's not that uncommon for places not to accept checks.

More info please.
Message 9 of 17
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Ok I just read a little further that it was a check from your money market account.   Ok that's not soo bad.  LIke I said before it's not uncommon for places not to accept checks.  

What I would do is transfer it into your checking account and then pay by debit card.  
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.