Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furious...............

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Furious...............

@Boswd wrote:
LIke I said before it's not uncommon for places not to accept checks.

Except (if I understood the OP correctly), this store DID accept checks. They even apparently belonged to Telecheck, and it sounds like a semi-bogus Telecheck flag (not enough recent check-writing activity by customer) was what started all the nonsense.
Message 11 of 17
Boswd
Valued Contributor

When it comes to personal checks the retail world is extremely frustrating.     Thank god for debit cards.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

That quick swipe debit commercial, where in the end the dude holds up the line at the donut shop by paying in cash, just jumped into my head.  Can't think why.

As I said before, I'd take my $1600 elsewhere.  This is 2007 for crying out loud.  They actually had the nerve to tell the man they won't override telechek, when a simple phone call could clear up the matter.  What planet are they on?
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That quick swipe debit commercial, where in the end the dude holds up the line at the donut shop by paying in cash, just jumped into my head.  Can't think why.

As I said before, I'd take my $1600 elsewhere.  This is 2007 for crying out loud.  They actually had the nerve to tell the man they won't override telechek, when a simple phone call could clear up the matter.  What planet are they on?

I am totally with trini on this, they didn't want your money. Take it elsewhere. Then be sure to take the receipt back to the store and ask for the manager/owner and show them that you had the money to spend, and tell him to bad his/her employees didn't think the store needed that 1600 dollar sale.
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everybody.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaguls66 wrote:

I am totally with trini on this, they didn't want your money. Take it elsewhere. Then be sure to take the receipt back to the store and ask for the manager/owner and show them that you had the money to spend, and tell him to bad his/her employees didn't think the store needed that 1600 dollar sale.

HA!
Like Juila Roberts in Pretty Woman "I came in here a few days ago, you didn't want to help me....big mistake...BIG, BIG!"Smiley Very Happy
Message 16 of 17
dragonheartt
Valued Member

Zen wrote:
I am pretty steamed.

I've worked hard to get my financial affairs in order, mostly focusing on paying off debts and bolstering my savings account. Except for my car loan, I am pretty much debt free. I finally reached my goal of having enough for a real dining room set, and on Saturday, I went into the furniture store to buy it. $1,600 cash - no credit cards.

I confidently wrote a check from my investment account, only to have it denied because I have not written a check there before. I mean I have not written a check to a retail store in over five years...and the first time I do, they tell me because I haven't.....to come back in 15 days and they'll consider it?

The store faulted Telecheck, but said they would not override them.

I left the store in tears and just raging furious because I did what the "system" says I'm supposed to do...how it is "supposed" to work. Only to get rejected anyway. This sucks.

It is time to barter.  Do this, draw out the cash, you can always redeposit it if you don't by your dining room set.  Put only 1300 in your pocket, not the entire 1600, put the rest in another pocket.  Go back to the store, speak with the manager, tell him/her you have been looking at it for awhile, but you were wondering if they could do better on the price.  Make them an offer like 1100, you never want them to accept your first offer.  Work your way up slowly and after you offer 1250 and they say no, simply pull the money out and count it infront of the manager, then tell them all you have is 1300, say thank you and start to walk out.  Odds are they they will agree to a lower price, and if not go to another store.  You wouldn't beleive the mark up on furniture, it is like buying a car.  I love to barter and I love to see a salesman go crazy when they see you are really interested in buying, that is where showing them the cash comes into play. 
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.