Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furniture Loan = Charge Account = Revolving Credit

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Furniture Loan = Charge Account = Revolving Credit

A line of credit extends to you an approved amount of credit you are authorized to use.  Payments revolve around how much you choose to utiliize.

Installment accounts complete the extension of credit, either by forwarding the consumer specific goods of a specific amount of cash, and sets fixed monthly payments for a tixed term.

It sounds like they only extended to you, upon purchase of the furniture, the same amount of credit as the value of the furniture you received, so I can see how you would consider that to be an installment loan.  It quacks like a duck.   However, the devil is in the details.  Unless fixed payments over a fixed term were specified, it is not an installment loan.

Message 11 of 13
acleynes
New Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A line of credit extends to you an approved amount of credit you are authorized to use.  Payments revolve around how much you choose to utiliize.

Installment accounts complete the extension of credit, either by forwarding the consumer specific goods of a specific amount of cash, and sets fixed monthly payments for a tixed term.

It sounds like they only extended to you, upon purchase of the furniture, the same amount of credit as the value of the furniture you received, so I can see how you would consider that to be an installment loan.  It quacks like a duck.   However, the devil is in the details.  Unless fixed payments over a fixed term were specified, it is not an installment loan.

You are correct.  That is exactly what happened.  We paid for as much as we could in cash, and financed the rest. 

Starting Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Current Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Goal Score: 850

Message 12 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, I have bought furniture in the same way.  Paid so much down, financed the rest, with a set payment each month for so many months.  It was listed as an installment.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.