Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GARNISHMENT.......YUCK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GARNISHMENT.......YUCK

My paychecks are currently being garnished but i"m moving out of state. Can they garnishments continue after i move?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GARNISHMENT.......YUCK

@Anonymous wrote:

My paychecks are currently being garnished but i"m moving out of state. Can they garnishments continue after i move?

Yes, they will continue.

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If you will be working for the same employer then yes they will continue but there is a caveat (if the state you move to doesnt allow garnishments you can contest). If you are starting work for someone else they would first have to domesticate the judgment into the state you are moving to then get another writ of garnishment. Not all states allow wage garnishments so you need to examine the laws of the state you are moving to as to what is allowed and whats not. it may be an opportunity for you to settle the judgment for less than the full amount as it will cost them money to go thru your new states court system to enforce said judgment.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that may be good news but where woulfd I fing that information? I'll be moving to ND if that helps at all.

Message 4 of 7
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

They can take wages in ND but it looks like the max they can take is 25%
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 5 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. That's a legal question. You should be asking a lawyer, not anonymous participants in a message board.

2. For a lawyer to know the facts he or she would need to know more information.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 7
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. That's a legal question. You should be asking a lawyer, not anonymous participants in a message board.

2. For a lawyer to know the facts he or she would need to know more information.

What if OP can not afford paying legal fees. Let OP collect info and get ideas and it's up to OP to get a Lawyer. I think gdale6 gave an excellent information that may help OP.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.