Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW letter for medical collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW letter for medical collection

My husband has a collection account on his credit reports for $50 which is from an overnight hospital stay in Dec. 2004.  Due to severe financial difficulties we couldn't finish paying the balance which was $100.  The hospital turned it over to a collection agency in Dec. 2005.  We paid the hospital directly the $50 in Jan. 2006.  The collection agency continued to harass us until I went to the hospital's business office in April, 2006 and asked the customer service rep to clear the matter up. The collection agency reported the account to Experian in May, 2006 and to TransUnion and Equifax in Nov., 2006.  I called the business office a few months ago about removing the account and got nowhere.  We would like to send a goodwill letter, but we're not sure who to send it to.  Should we send it to the Business Office Manager who didn't help us the first time or to the VP of Finance?  Any advice you have is very much appreciated.  Thanks! 
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GW letter for medical collection

I had one I sent it to the medical office and the Collection agency--I think i sent mines to the Credit Reporting Dept---since i wasnt sure i figured that would get it to the right place-still waiting on a response
Message 2 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Not a true GW situation but that is an option to put on the back burner.  You paid the OC directly and the CA is obsolete.  Your best bet is to medical DV (especially since they have given you trouble before when they should not have) and dispute the CA as 'not mine'. 

Because this occured in 2004 your DH has certain rights.  Google information for whychat HIPAA and find the site with sample letters.  There is also information regarding this on these boards so search as well for those threads for additional information.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 3 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I'll add to that that if the CA placed any INQs on your CBRs (hard or soft) they are liable to you for 1k for each occurance (violation).  If so, search for the non-authorized inquiry letter.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to sound so dumb, but I don't how to DV.  Is that done through the CRAs?  Does disputing it as not mine remove the entry from my hubby's credit report? 

I'm going to check out the HIPAA information now.  Thanks!! 

Message 5 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

scarlu wrote:
I hate to sound so dumb, but I don't how to DV.  Is that done through the CRAs?  Does disputing it as not mine remove the entry from my hubby's credit report? 

I'm going to check out the HIPAA information now.  Thanks!! 

DV letters go only to the CAs.  At the top of this forum there are 2 sticky threads, the Credit Scoring 101 Start Here, and the Frequently Requested Threads.  Please read both, they are great and very well put together for this reason.  The sample DV and info on it is in the Frequently Requested Threads.

Disputing it with the CRAs after you've sent off the DV will force the CRA to verify the information.  If they cannot verify it, they will remove.  Sometimes they don't when they should and you have to take it further... but get a dispute in when you get that DV out and cover your bases.
Message 6 of 8
mmts0717
New Contributor

Definitely go to the HIPPA page, great information.  I was having problems with a medical bill that was  never paid by my insurance.  I got no where with the business office - in fact, I think they were screening my calls because every time I gave my name the supervisor was at lunch even at 9:30 in the morning, go figure.

Well, today I called the hospital administration department explained the situation and I got 3 calls back from the ADMINISTRATION DEPT and the accounts all have 0 balances and they will immediately pull back from CA and remove from credit file. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I'm going to do some research about HIPAA, etc.  If we go the GW route, I have the name of the VP of Finance at this hospital - we may send it to her.  We're dealing with a small rural hospital, so most likely the business office is under that VP's supervision.  It seems this hospital's business office is staffed with a bunch of incompetent folks considering they never communicated to the CA that we paid the bill.

By the way, Happy New Year!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.