Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW letter help...what's reasonable?

tag
jru577
New Contributor

GW letter help...what's reasonable?

I'm writing GW letters to HSBC, Chase, some student loan accts (I know it's a long shot). Anyway - some of my CC accounts have LOTS of lates, but none of them went to collection. And only one has a 90day...the rest are 30 or 60. Is it reaonable to request lates "in the last two years" be removed? Or last 12 months?

Also - did anyone have success with these companies?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GW letter help...what's reasonable?

Doesn't matter how old they are.  If they're on your report you want them removed.  Granted lates that are older than 4 years  probably have a negligible effect on your score, but still, if you can get them all removed go for it.  But definitely those in the last 3 years.

Be sure to highlight your recent exceptional payment history.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had success with Chase and GW. Lates only on 2, settled for less than the full amount on the third. One was PIF about a year before I requested GW.

You're not risking much. Only 41 cents. Potential payoff is high. Attempting GW is worth it.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Discover card that has been paid and closed for a couple of years and had 3 60 day lates and 3 30 days late. I sent a GW letter and they are supposed to delete my account entirely. Since that account is the worst on my reports, I'm just happy they will be deleted!
Message 4 of 7
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

Sillygirl wrote:
I had a Discover card that has been paid and closed for a couple of years and had 3 60 day lates and 3 30 days late. I sent a GW letter and they are supposed to delete my account entirely. Since that account is the worst on my reports, I'm just happy they will be deleted!

I sent Discover a GW letter a few weeks ago for the same type of baddies. How long did it take them to reply?  Did they delete the lates?
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They haven't fallen off yet. I plan on calling them to discuss. I'll keep you posted!
Message 6 of 7
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

I was a bit impatient and decided to dispute the lates with the CRAs after a Discover customer rep told me that he couldn't find my account (even with my SS#). He said that it may have been purged. I received an email from EX about an hour ago with the results of my investigation - the trade line was deleted.  My FICO score jumped from 730 to 768. I'm waiting to hear back from TU and EQ. I'm crossing my fingers.
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.