cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW letters - possible to do by phone? Any downside?

tag
HoosierSue

GW letters - possible to do by phone? Any downside?

I have two 30-day late payments in my credit history, one from Jan. 2004 and one from December 2001.  Is it possible to do a GW letter via a phone call?  The card is a JCPenney Mastercard from GEMB.  I called the main # and the gal just kept stating "by law, we have to report fairly & accurately". 

Well obviously they can remove items if they wish.  Is the best way to do this via a GW letter or is it possible by phone?  If it can be done by phone, how is that done - do you ask for a supervisor or what?  The rep I talked to just gave me their billing inquiries address, but I did not attempt to escalate things.

I know the one from 12/2001 will drop off later this year anyway, but I would love to clear them both out asap.  Is there any potential downside to a GW letter?  Given the age of these items should I leave this alone?

Fico scores currently; TU 731, Exp 749.  I don't know EQ.  Weird thing is, TU (lower score) only shows 2004 delinq while Exp shows both.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GW letters - possible to do by phone? Any downside?

Hi, HoosierSue!

While this post is about a credit card account, you might get better responses to this type of question on the General Credit Issues forum.  Would you like me to move your post for you?
Message 2 of 5
HoosierSue

Hi Cheddar

Please do move it if you think it will generate more responses.  Thank you.
Message 3 of 5
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

I would personally leave them alone.  At that age, you would be surprised at what  little  impact they are having.

Remember, GW is just that, or asking a favor.  From a personal standpoint, depending on the specifics, I am not sure GW is 'worth it'.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Sears a couple months back to ask about a 30 day late I had years ago. I accidentally got transferred to fraud instead of whoever else it should have been. I explained to whomever picked up what I was asking for and the guy said "Well I don't know why you got transferred to me, but I just deleted it for you."

Maybe you could "accidentally" get yourself transferred to the wrong department too?

PS - It only gave me a 2 point increase in score.

Message Edited by Shnapple on 03-11-2008 01:21 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.