New Contributor
ezover

GW

[ Edited ]

I read the thread on GW letters and I thought I would ask a couple questions.

I had a couple 30 day late,s with capital one back in 07 due to a death in the family.

has anyone had any luck doing it over the phone?

also if I do write a letter to capital one, who would I address it to?

Message Edited by ezover on 03-18-2009 03:53 PM
getting there
TU 770 5/14/09
EQ 740
Established Contributor
Donks3369

Re: GW

EZ,

I have heard people getting a GW over the phone but I think it is rare, just depends on the creditor.  However, if you are writing them a letter I would use the address that is on your credit report.  Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

[ Edited ]
I had two lates on CapOne that were about 6 yrs old at that time reporting on all 3. I called CapOne's number as listed on the CR and asked if they could remove them. They insisted that I would want to file a dispute directly with CapOne and I insisted that those lates were mine and reporting accurately. The CSR then said that they would put in a request. Within 2 weeks, the lates disappeared off of TU only. So, 1/3 success I guess. I never called again because it was an old, closed TL and didn't want them to delete it instead of removing the lates. BTW, the lates removed themselves 60-90 days early off my CR instead of the 7 yrs.

ETA....I had sent dozens and dozens of GWs to them without any success. BUT, IMO, it is always worth the stamp. Picture a clean CR. There are a few rare success stories out there and certainly is worth the shot.
Message Edited by llecs on 03-17-2009 09:22 AM
Contributor
vawt

I have had success in the past getting a late payment charge removed by calling the card issuer.  I have no lates showing up on my report and don't have a history of them with any of those cards.

Each time the CSR said something like "we will remove it as a one time courtesy".  I think I may have had more than 1 removed on the same card a few years apart, so it is possible.

Its important to note that I was really only focusing on the late charge in those instances (and getting it credited back), so those probably weren't 30+ day late issues and my entire post is really not helpful...

Scores June-09: EQ 798 TU-785
Scores Mar-09: EQ 792 (getting close) TU-782
Scores Feb-09: EQ- 786 EX- ??? TU-777
Scores Jan-09: EQ- 791 EX- 786 TU-765
Scores Aug-08: EQ- 786 EX- 779 TU- 737
New Contributor
ezover

I tried calling the number on back of the card and got nowhere at all, on the plus side, capital one csr's are

speaking English much better these days.

I plan on sending a email this week, if I have no luck there I will try the number on my CR and do a snail mail as a last resort.

getting there
TU 770 5/14/09
EQ 740

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}