Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geico Platinum Mastercard/Merrick Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Geico Platinum Mastercard/Merrick Bank

Has anyone had any experience with this credit card. I opened an account in April when I leased a new car. I have a $500 dollar limit and was wondering how generous they are with CLI. I am 30% utilization right now, but will be paying off next week. I make my payments online for more than the minimum as soon as the statement is e-mailed. I spoke to them and they said after 6 months the account is automatically reviewed.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Geico Platinum Mastercard/Merrick Bank

cfstr1 wrote: Has anyone had any experience with this credit card. I opened an account in April when I leased a new car. I have a $500 dollar limit and was wondering how generous they are with CLI. I am 30% utilization right now, but will be paying off next week. I make my payments online for more than the minimum as soon as the statement is e-mailed. I spoke to them and they said after 6 months the account is automatically reviewed.
I have this card, and it was possibly one of the worst mistakes I've made. I've called twice - once after six months, and once at a year of having the card to say "Every other card I have has at least 5x as high a limit as your card. I have paid off in full, every month - I would like a higher credit limit" The customer service person reads from a script that says they have no control, and it all happens automatically, if you then request a supervisor, you get the same script read to you. About a month later, you'll receive a letter in the mail saying that "It is the current policy of Merrick Bank (Geico's partner, who are, interestingly, featured prominently on ripoffreport.com, and lo and behold, merrickbanksucks.com) to not raise credit limits." I'm determining now how much it would ding my credit report to cancel this card entirely, but apparently Merrick makes all their money by denying the card has been canceled or paid off, and racking up exorbinant service fees. end rant... hope this helps!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am blown away!!! Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep my use to this card at a minimum. Hopefully, as I demonstrate excellent payment patterns I will qualify for a great card. Hopefully very soon and soon be added to my husbands Chase card as a joint holder especially as I have taken it on to pay down balances to 1-9%. Best to you in your journey.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad for the info before I got this card..I have Geico and they constantly offer this pre-approved card. No way...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.