cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General CR Question

tag
Qwerty99

General CR Question

My credit report shows 2 negatives. One from the origianl debt owner, and another from the collection company that now owns it. I just paid of the debt through the collection agency. Will both negatives be updated to PAID? Will the original be changed from Charged off to PAID? 

Another question is i noticed a fingerhut negative on my CR. I called them to verify and was told it was owned by jefferson capital. I called Jefferson, and was told i paod the debt in June of 2011. What can i do change the Fingerhut from Charged Off to PAID? Do i contact Jefferson or Fingerhut? I placed a call to fingerhut but they keep on refering me to Jefferson. I am not sure if they are giving me the run around or not.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: General CR Question

The CA is supposed to notify the OC when the debt is paid.  The OC will still list as a CO but show a paid CO.  Since the OC doesn't own it, it should be showing a 0 balance and say transferred/sold.

Is Fingerhut showing a 0 balance?  If they sold the debt they are supposed to.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A charge-off itself is not actually updated to a status of "paid."  The debt is updated to paid, $0 balance by the creditor, and the amount remaining under collection is updated to $0 by any debt collector.

A charge-off is an internal bookeeping action taken by a creditor at a point in time.  The ultimate status of the debt does not alter the fact of that prior action having been taken and reported.  It is still accurate credit history that reflects in your scoring.

The same applies to collections or any other derogatory item posted to your CR.

They remain, and are still scored after payment of the underlying debt.  Their scoring  impact declines with time at some rate known only to FairIsaac, until the credit report exclusion period for the item has passed, or the furnisher of the information voluntarily deletes it.

Message 3 of 6
Qwerty99

Thanks for the replies. I looked over the CR's again and found that even though the status is CHARGED OFF the balance is 0. Its beginning to make sense to me. I still am trying to familiarize myself with the CR's and understand them. I called fingerhut and they said they are not able to update it to PAID or settled. Jefferson who bought the debt will confirm on the phone that the debt has been paid. However, they cannot or will not send a letter saying it has been paid. Am i correct to assume that if the balance shows 0, it was paid through another collection agency? I have one last debt on my CR's that is showing 0 balance but with a status of CHARGED OFF. Also, what if the recent balance shows N/A? I have a couple of those on my Experian. Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When a creditor sells a debt, regardless of whether they charge it off prior to its sale, they must report a $0 balance, as no debt is therafter owed to them.It does not reflect that the debt was paid.

The current OC account status thus reflects the status of account delinquency when sold.  If they had been paid, then they would have been required to additionally update the status to reflect its satisfaction, but that does not appear to be the case.

Once the OC sells the debt, their reporting obligation ends with updating the balance to $0.  They are not a party to whatever happens to the debt thereafter, and have no obligation to track the subsequent acts of others or report a payment not made to them.  If the purchasing debt collector has not reported their collection to a CRA, they of course have no reporting obligation, so your CR alone will not reflect the ultimate fate of the debt. 

You can, of course, ask the debt collector to report their collection, and a current status of paid, $0 balance, and thus get the satisfaction of the debt recorded in your CR, but the reported collection would be an additional major derog.  Not a good idea.

Message 5 of 6
Qwerty99

thank you

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.