Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Question

Ok, I'm sitting here reviewing my TU CR.   When exactly does the account fall off your credit report for student loans?  Is it 7 years (or 10?) from the date the account was opened, 7 years (or 10?) from the date it went into default, or 7 years (or 10?) from the date it was consolidated/closed?

I'm not sure when the timeline kicks in!  Thanks!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mlynne37wiu
Valued Member

Re: General Question

Hi Keeanah,

I believe it stays on for 7 years after the date of last activity (whether it was a last payment to pay off the loan or whether it was consolidated).  I tried to get some of mine off my CR and I couldn't because they aren't "old" enough.

M
October 2008 TU 687 EQ 644 EX 698

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

it should fall off 7 years past FOFD-
First time you were late- 

If it was paid it should not be marked Defaulted-

If it is marked ok/paid in the status- the lates will be removed at 7 years- and it would continue to report until 10 years after paid-

It's all about the "Status" and DOFD.  

keeanah wrote:
Ok, I'm sitting here reviewing my TU CR.   When exactly does the account fall off your credit report for student loans?  Is it 7 years (or 10?) from the date the account was opened, 7 years (or 10?) from the date it went into default, or 7 years (or 10?) from the date it was consolidated/closed?

I'm not sure when the timeline kicks in!  Thanks!!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of them have been consolidated as of October, 2006.  Each individual student loan is showing up 3 different times, either stating "paid collection/charge off", "being paid through insurance", or just "transferred to another lender".  I'm going to write good will letters in hopes that they'll remove all of the late/negative stuff since it has now been almost 2 years since consolidation and paid/never late since that time.  Wish me luck!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.