Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question about adding my Daughter as an AU

tag
teo77777
Regular Contributor

General question about adding my Daughter as an AU

My Daughter is 18 and has no file at all. Tried looking her up on CK..Nada....If I add her as an AU to one of my cards, would that be enough to generate her a score in a few months and get her on the map? Thanks.

TO
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: General question about adding my Daughter as an AU

Yes it will

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
teo77777
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

TO
Message 3 of 6
policebox
Contributor

A true FICO score will be generated after the account reports for 6 months. That is, there must be at least 6 months of credit history in order to generate a FICO score. The algorithms of FAKOs, such as those used by Credit Karma, may be different. So, it is possible you might see a score generated on Credit Karma before 6 months, but don't let that mislead you into thinking her report has aged enough to generate a FICO score.

Message 4 of 6
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@policebox wrote:

A true FICO score will be generated after the account reports for 6 months. That is, there must be at least 6 months of credit history in order to generate a FICO score. The algorithms of FAKOs, such as those used by Credit Karma, may be different. So, it is possible you might see a score generated on Credit Karma before 6 months, but don't let that mislead you into thinking her report has aged enough to generate a FICO score.

+1

I just turned over 3 months total for my oldest account, and when I applied for my IT card, Credit Karma started generating me their score. At 3 months, my CK FAKO is currently 725.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Additonally, dont assume that creditors will view her score as a "normal" score should they do a  review of her CR.

Having a favorable account of another included in one's scoring can produce or boost a score, and if a credtior relies only on a review of score in their decision making, it can be a huge plus in obtaining new credit.  Great for building or rebuilding, where lower amounts of credit are being sought, and thus the creditor may not invest the time and expense to do a more thorough review.

However, as one moves up the credit ladder, apps for higher amounts of credit often lead to a more thorough review.

A creditor, seeing an AU in a CR, is automatically informed that the score is not representative of only that consumer's credit history.

They have no way to back out the impact of the AU account and produce a score based only on that consumer's actual history.

Thus, it could put into question the value of the score in their decision making.

If the AU is the only TL and they do a manual review, the score is of little practical use.

Once past a building or rebuilding stage, one might consider removing AUs from their reports and scoring.

A good strategy might be for her to use the AU score to app for secured cards, build her own history, and then wein from the AU prior to seeking the biggies.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.