Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General questions about credit report and credit score

tag
m3rge
Regular Contributor

General questions about credit report and credit score

¡Hi everyone!

I would like to know what are the best tools to monitor, and see your credit score in equifax, transunion and experian. I've seen alot of websites but I feel a little bit confused about what could be the "official one". Also, doing all of this, can affect my credit score? (subscribing to a credit monitoring, pulling out my CS, reports, etc.)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HiLine
Blogger

Re: General questions about credit report and credit score

Message 2 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hello!  Welcome to MyFico Forums!  As HiLine mentioned, you can check out that thread to get good information on different types of monitoring services that are out there.  I personally use CreditSecure by Amex to get daily 3 bureau reports.  I ignore the score, however, because the scores on other sites usually do not correspond well to my real FICO score.  I recommend the ScoreWatch sold here at MyFico used in conjuction with a few yearly pulls of your full report.

Otherwise, if you are OCD like me, you can look into other sites that will allow you to see the full report every few days.

Good luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 6
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Let's say I use the trial of the FICO ScoreWatch, can this lower my credit score? can this be a hardpull? Would occur the same with CreditSecure?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Any monitoring service you use to check your own credit reports will only result in a "soft" inquiry. In other words it will have no effect on your score or report. This is true of the annualcreditreport.com site as well as the paid monitoring services. As was mentioned above, just be aware that these services are merely for tracking information in your reports and scores and advice should not be relied on. The services offered through MyFico are legitimate scores and advice.

The other thing to be aware of is that checking your own reports frequently MAY result in what we call a "split file" meaning all your accounts may not be shown on a credit pull. This happens most often with the Experian report but there have been reported instances of it happening with TransUnion also. If you are not obsessively accessing your reports multiple times in a day it will probably not be an issue.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone for clearing my doubts, very helpful advices!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.