Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting COMPLETELY different scores from each of the 3 bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting COMPLETELY different scores from each of the 3 bureaus

I'm a little miffed as to why each of the 3 bureaus are reporting each of my scores differently - here's what I see:

3-in-one score from Transunion:

TU 682, Experian 662, Equifax, 673

3-in-one score from Experian

TU 590, Experian 598, Equifax 586

3-in-one score from Equifax

TU 595, Experian 578, Equifax 614

Is this normal -- and how do I now what to believe??

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting COMPLETELY different scores from each of the 3 bureaus

Please read the Son of Credit Scoring 101 thread in my sig line. It will answer your questions on scores.

Message 2 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Sounds to me like your EQ and EX scores are based on BEACON model and PLUS Score model respectively. The TU score is probably the Vantage Score, which is generally a higher numerical number than the others. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply -- what will mortgage lenders look at? And where can I see this score that the banks will be evaluating me on? Thanks.

Message 4 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ztnjpv wrote:

Sounds to me like your EQ and EX scores are based on BEACON model and PLUS Score model respectively. The TU score is probably the Vantage Score, which is generally a higher numerical number than the others. 

None of those are FICO scores. There is no 3 in 1 service that sells FICO's.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok - so then how do I get the score that banks look at to determine a home loan?

Message 6 of 15
GregB
Valued Contributor

As MVV pointed out, NONE of those scores are anything that would be used for a mortgage. The ones that you pulled from Transunion are probably Vantage Scores, which have SOME value even if that value is very, very tiny - lets just call it "almost zero". They have zero value for a mortgage. The scores from EQ and EX have no value at all, other than general education that give you a general idea where you stand. They are not used by any lender of any kind for anything.

Start with the EQ FICO from here: EQ Beacon v5.0. That will be one of the scores that will be used for a normal mortgage application.

Also, refer to Fused's post and read the document suggested.

Message 7 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

+2 on the ditto. None of them are FICOs.

Message 8 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"None of those are FICO scores. There is no 3 in 1 service that sells FICO's."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I say otherwise? Smiley Tongue

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 9 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"Ok - so then how do I get the score that banks look at to determine a home loan?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my experience and based on the hearsay I get, the Experian FICO is the most widely used FICO score by lenders for most kinds of smaller and non-home-related loans. Ironically, it's the only one you can't get without a hard pull outside of some special arrangements for a few lucky people....like being a member of the PSECU (PA teachers credit union...which I'm a happy member of through relatives Smiley Happy). But for a mortgage, most any bank will be more thorough and pull all 3 and usually use the middle one. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.