Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a credit card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a credit card.

I have a FICO score of 649 and am trying to re-establish great credit.  I am on-time for all bills and am paying off my last two bills in collections one in August and the other in  a few months.  I have two credit cards in my name one I never use the balance is a $0.60 cent credit (Victoria Secrets) and the other is a MC with a $265. balance paid on-time each month.  I was told by my credit coulseling group, opening another card and using no more than 40% of the balance and then paying it off each month would increase my score.  True?? Should I apply on my own or get a co-signer??  Also, when using the "get a card link" at myfico,  whould I use fair or good as a card finder?  Which card should I try to get??  I would hate to get rejection!  I really want to improve my score!!!  My biggest problem is from my past!  Thanks...annab13Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a credit card.

A lot of people here have had luck with the company above, including my husband. 

Try 'em!
Message 2 of 20
Vu
Frequent Contributor

The Get a Credit Card link from Fico is very unreliable.  In example, if you selected your Fico score as Fair, it gives you prime cards such as Amex Clear, Chase, Discover.

Your Fico score is mid 600, is it Experian?  If it is you should be qualified for Amex Delta, Hilton, Starwood.  My Experian scores about 620 and I can get both Amex and Citi card.

If you TU is mid 600, you should be qualified for Wamu, Hooters, Juniper.

BoA and Chase both declined my application.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try going to Bank of Americas www.bofa.com site and under Products and Sevices chose Credit cards. Then press the button that says Check For Offers. Easy way to find out what you can get from them. Soft pull till you accually apply for the card you chose.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

pre-approved or pre-qualify things is a crap. 4 days ago I applied for hsbc card online and they told me I am pre qualified and when I actually applied for it, I got denied.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a suggestion, not everyones situation is the same. If you are way low scores and have alot of recent junk in your trunk, may not be the best way to do it. Worked for me...and I have alot of old baddies.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...
It was Experian.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations ... you have a solid score to build from. You do not want to charge 40% on your credit card every month because this can cost you big time in the FICO points. Ideally, FICO does not want to see more than 30% in credit card utilization reported on your credit report. The best range to be is 1-9%. This will give you significant points. Keep us posted on your progress.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the information...I really appreciate it!

When using the "get a card link" at myfico,  whould I use poor, fair, or good as a card finder?  I want to increase my chances of getting one.  I prefer not to get a pre-paid one.

Thanks!
Message 9 of 20
future
Frequent Contributor

annab13 wrote:
Thanks for all the information...I really appreciate it!

When using the "get a card link" at myfico,  whould I use poor, fair, or good as a card finder?  I want to increase my chances of getting one.  I prefer not to get a pre-paid one.

Thanks!

the site you want to goto is finance globe this is a excellent site it tells you what fico score the cc is looking for, so in your case, it will show you what cards require a score of 649Smiley Happy .  
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.