cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a loan to clear Credit Card Debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a loan to clear Credit Card Debt?

I am fairly new to credit, at a young age I build a fairly high balance on credit my credit cards. Would it increase my credit score if i obtained a personal loan to pay off my credit cards?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting a loan to clear Credit Card Debt?

Depends... what are you scores and util?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Score is currently at 649, my CC debt is at about 10k.
Message 3 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Probably but more details please.  How many cards and what are the balances and CLs on each?  
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 credit cards

bofa 7k limit , a little over 5k on the card

Capital 1   1k limit, 300 on the card

WAMU 5k limit, 4k on the card.
Message 5 of 6
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

vr wrote:
3 credit cards

bofa 7k limit , a little over 5k on the card

Capital 1   1k limit, 300 on the card

WAMU 5k limit, 4k on the card.

From a purely utilization standpoint, yep you'd do very well with getting those cards brought down.  Make sure you read the 'Start Here'  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

I'd still call BoA and WAMU today and try to nego a better rate while you think about a loan.  Cap1 won't do anything, though it never hurts to try.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.