cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a new bank account after going negative on the first.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a new bank account after going negative on the first.

Hi guys,

I decided to ask you all very informed and intelligent people before i start calling banks for my sister.

Here is the story:  My sister lost her job due to a change in her company and was out of work for 2 months. She is now at a new job and unfortunately she had to let her credit slide and bank account go negative in order to eat and get gas to find this new job.  She has the money to zero out that bank account and is planning to do so but was told by SUNTRUST BANK that they would not reopen her account because she waited to long to pay it off but would giver her a receipt showing that the account was paid in full but it would remain on her credit for 5 years and may be difficult to open another account anywhere else.

Any ideas of what or where she should go or do about this? Would it be possible to get on an account with someone else just so she can have a bank account.

Thank you
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a new bank account after going negative on the first.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear what happened with your sister.  Most banks/credit unions will use ChexSystems to determine eligibility.  ChexSystems offers Qualifile, which will perform a soft-pull on credit, and closures with retail stores (bounced checks, etc) and with financial institutions.  Based on the Qualifile score, she may or may not be eligible.  If ChexSystems reports an unpaid closure, most banks/credit unions will not allow opening an account.  However, if she has proof that it's been paid she may be able to satisfy their policy.  Hopefully this helps!

P.S.:  I might add that ChexSystems will also verify the SSN# and date of issue, driver's license information, etc. 

Message Edited by WYjeep on 09-26-2008 06:58 PM
Message 2 of 7
cw81
Frequent Contributor

There are certain banks and CUs that dont use chexsystems   if you google   there is a website  run by one of the members on here that  has a comprehensive list   of  financial institutions that dont use Chexsystems

eta: I can't think of the name right now

Message Edited by cw81 on 09-26-2008 09:14 PM
Message 3 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Charter one runs a chex, but they will open an account if you have a letter from the previous bank stating that all negatives were paid.  NFCU doesn't use chexsystems either.
Message 4 of 7
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

How long ago was it? BofA will open an account for you 6-12 months after you defaulted, I don't remember whice. Also there is a bank called woodforest national who will open an account for you with no credit check. I don't know if its in your area but they are in all the wal-marts around here (Va Beach, VA) and also I seem to remember their main branch being in the southwest area.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Ask the bank if they will accept a fee to have Chexsystem remove the item.  My daughter had to pay her bank $25 to have them have the account removed from Chexsystem.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

will 1 sovereign bank checking account overdraft in the past month and 2 overdrafts a couple years ago prevent you from opening some of the premium

rewards checkings accounts out there?  I want to open a bunch with $100 bonuses and high APRs etc.

all overdrafts were paid.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.