Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting free credit reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting free credit reports

Hi,

I'd like to get the free reports from all 3 reporting agencies as I want to make sure they reflect correct information. I know in fact, my DOB is incorrect on Experian.

Is getting your own report considered an Inquiry? Would you suggest to space out the 3 throughout the 12 month period or get them all at once?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting free credit reports

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to get the free reports from all 3 reporting agencies as I want to make sure they reflect correct information. I know in fact, my DOB is incorrect on Experian.

Is getting your own report considered an Inquiry? Would you suggest to space out the 3 throughout the 12 month period or get them all at once?

Thanks

If you've been denied credit or received notice of adverse action within the last 60 days, then you are entitled to a free copy of your CR.  Otherwise, you can request a free, annual disclosure from the 3 CRAs through www.annualcreditreport.com

This would be considered a soft hit and will not impact your scores, only you would be able to view these types of inquiries.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are unfamiliar with your own reports is best to get them all at once to correct what need correcting.  After that is done, you can space them out starting next year.

The funny thing about knowing that Bureaus have wrong info about you is that you might not pass their little tests for verification.  In other words, your accurate answers about yourself will make you fail their tests based on their false information.

It has happened to me.  For some reason, these bureaus are convinced I lived in Washington DC, I haven't.  But, once I realized that was going on and they were not helpful in my attempts to correct it, I have resorted to embrace it... I have memorized their fictional address for me and nowadays I give it back for confirmation on applications.   Ever since I have embraced their lies, they keep verifying me with no problem... the craziness of the credit world, I'll tell you truth is overrated, and it starts with THEM.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are unfamiliar with your own reports is best to get them all at once to correct what need correcting.  After that is done, you can space them out starting next year.

The funny thing about knowing that Bureaus have wrong info about you is that you might not pass their little tests for verification.  In other words, your accurate answers about yourself will make you fail their tests based on their false information.

It has happened to me.  For some reason, these bureaus are convinced I lived in Washington DC, I haven't.  But, once I realized that was going on and they were not helpful in my attempts to correct it, I have resorted to embrace it... I have memorized their fictional address for me and nowadays I give it back for confirmation on applications.   Ever since I have embraced their lies, they keep verifying me with no problem... the craziness of the credit world, I'll tell you truth is overrated, and it starts with THEM.

I hear you. For the last week or so I applied for 3 CC's, and I once I learnt about the incorrect DOB and my new address not showing, I probabely would have been instantly approved had i used the incorrect information, rather than going the harder way of dealing with credit analysts to prove myself.

Message 4 of 8
mo6579
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to get off topic from the original post...

But get those original report numbers and dispute that old address! Last thing you need is for the person living there to be bad-intentioned and have your identity. Call and ask them how to change your address. As long as its not attached to a tradeline, you should be able to dispute it off online easily as long as you put another address on file. If I remember correctly. that will require sending in copies of IDs and mail to the CRAs with your real address.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mo6579 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to get off topic from the original post...

But get those original report numbers and dispute that old address! Last thing you need is for the person living there to be bad-intentioned and have your identity. Call and ask them how to change your address. As long as its not attached to a tradeline, you should be able to dispute it off online easily as long as you put another address on file. If I remember correctly. that will require sending in copies of IDs and mail to the CRAs with your real address.

I appreciate your intention, BUT I don't want to give them accurate private info about me.  I can live with a wrong address, I guess the DoB thing had to be changed, but I don't mind playing back their fictional games.   For example, I pride myself that no bank, no bueau, no CU has my actual phone number.  All they have is an unlisted voice mail number and I have convinced them all that that's my primary number...  This is just a crazy game we are all playing, some of us are just having a little more fun than others...

Message 6 of 8
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

hum I would almost consider that fraud.  Because you just said you are knowinly giving false information to your bank and credit union.  I think there is a line on every form you fill out for both banks and credit unions state "The information is correct to the best of my knowledge"  if you knowinlyy give false information that is fraud

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things, including legal documents, can be read and understood in a number of ways.  The other side, the banks, would proceed like that if it is convenient for them, I choose to do likewise.  If you choose to limit yourself to a there is only one way of reading this, it's your problem.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.