cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting your 28 FICO scores from myFICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting your 28 FICO scores from myFICO?

Question about getting your 28 FICO scores from myFICO.  I don't have a myFICO membership, but am interested in getting my 28 FICO scores one time.  There are FICO scores like the mortgage and auto versions that I've never seen, so it would be cool to see them once.  I see that you can get them with the $30/mo "ultimate" membership through this site.  Can you cancel a membership right after starting it as to only be charged $30 one time just to get these scores?  I'm not necessarily sure that's "worth it" to me, but I'm just weighing options right now.

It would be nice if there was a similar service to CCT with their $1 trials that provided more than just FICO 08 scores, but I don't know of anything like that. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting your 28 FICO scores from myFICO?

Yes you could cancel the membership at any time.  They even give pro rated refunds but doubt that would apply to the first month

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, that would make sense.  If they did that the first month and you cancelled on Day 1 you'd essentially be getting all your 28 scores and your 3B reports for $1 total.  No way would they let that fly Smiley Wink

Does anyone know if you cancel if you're able to sign up again sometime in the future and do the same thing?  Sort of like multiple CCT $1 trials?  It would be good to know that 6 months from now if I wanted my 28 scores again that I could sign up and cancel again.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, that would make sense.  If they did that the first month and you cancelled on Day 1 you'd essentially be getting all your 28 scores and your 3B reports for $1 total.  No way would they let that fly Smiley Wink

Does anyone know if you cancel if you're able to sign up again sometime in the future and do the same thing?  Sort of like multiple CCT $1 trials?  It would be good to know that 6 months from now if I wanted my 28 scores again that I could sign up and cancel again.

I know that you can immediately sign back up but no idea if they would continue to allow you to renew and cancel

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, thanks.  I don't think many people would be willing to sign up and cancel continuously, as it would be $30 each time which is the same cost as just letting the monthly membership do it's thing without cancelling from month to month, which would ultimately make more sense to get the monthly monitoring and such I suppose.

I'd just like to be able to see all of my FICO scores once or twice a year, which could be "worth" the $30 or $60, respectively to me... but not $360 for a 12 month membership.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi BBS.  I am one of the people who do what you describe.

A real nice addition to the MF roster of scores in the last year or so was the FICO 9 scores.  Hitherto those were impossible to see.

Personally I do the signup-cancel routine no oftener than once every 13 months.  Sometimes I let longer than that elapse, since I just don't need it that often.  This way I feel like I am staying under the radar for any abuse-detector that MF might have.

Here's some advice for getting the most bang for your buck, if you go the once every 13 month route.

(1)  Prepare your profile carefully first.  Get all cards at zero except one (AZEO) with the remaining card reporting a small balance.  If you are fairly certain that a derog is about to fall off, or three inquiries, or whatever, delay the pull.  Etc.

(2)  On the same day that you pull your myFICO scores, also pull all your Vantage scores as well as the Karma Auto Insurance score. 

That way you'll have a really nice historical baseline to work with.  You'll be able to see how much your Vantage scores are a reliable predictor of your other scores -- and for some people they are very reliable.  That's a nice thing to have for anyone who's a credit junkie but personally I think very valuable for anyone who is on a budget.

Also fascinating is to see the difference between how your Auto Insurance compares to your TU FICO 8 classic.  Just remember that they have different ranges.  A FICO 8 of 817 is stratospherically high.  The same number is a C- for the Auto Insurance score.  So be sure to translate both into an A+, A, B+, B, B- (etc.) format before you compare them.

Final note: your "mortgage scores" won't use those antiquated models forever.  Experian's mortgage model was released in 1998!  My feeling is that Fannie Mae (or Congress) will permit lenders greater freedom to use more recent models at some point in the not too distant future.  So unless you plan to buy a house in the next two years, I'd take whatever you see there with a grain of salt.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

CGID,

Good tips and info above.  Thanks for taking the time!

The only possible thing I have going on with my profile in the next month or so would be the potential removal of the negative information from my only dirty account on TU, which has already been clean on EX and EQ for months.  If within the next month or so that negative information doesn't come off, it probably won't.  I've poked the sleeping bear with Synchrony recently thanking them for removing the negative info from EX and EQ and letting them know that it's still on TU and that it would be greatly appreciated if they could submit a request to TU to have it removed.  Since they never actually agreed to remove the info from EX or EQ, I do stand a slight chance of them re-reporting the negatives to the other 2 bureaus, which would make me dirty again across all 3B.  This is why I said I poked the sleeping bear.  We'll see what happens.  I more or less think that nothing will happen at all, in which case I'd still be dirty on TU and clean on EX and EQ.

This actually wouldn't bother me too much as far as getting my 28 FICO scores (and VS scores as you suggested) because it would also give me some nice data points on how those different scoring models view/react to one filthy account verses being clean.  It may be interesting to see for data point purposes which models penalize one more for a major delinquency.  I'll give my reports another month, then go with the myFICO membership I think.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS.  Credit.com is a good place to get your EX Vantage.  They offer two different scores, so make sure you get the Vantage score while you are there.  And be sure to pull all scores at roughly the same time (same day certainly, and same hour is even better).

Message 8 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

This seems like a lot of work to save $30.

        
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBS is not saving $30.  He's still paying $30 for his first month of the Ultimate subscription.

What he is saving is $330 over the course of the year.   (The $30 per month for each of the other 11 months.)

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.