Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good FICO Score For Apartment Rental

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Good FICO Score For Apartment Rental

Thanks.  As I have previously stated, there have been no useless replies, at least so far.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful Thanks.

Message 22 of 25
AveryD
New Visitor

Above 650 will do. More important is that you have income. If you do not have income, you have to show assets and most likely will be asked a bigger security deposit/ advance payment of rent. Some sites can find out that for you. Renter Street calls property managers to validate apartments before they give you a list of no broker fee apartments. You can ask them to find out which property managers you qualify for.

Message 23 of 25
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What would be considered a good FICO score for renting an apartment in New York City, preferably Manhattan ?

I don't think there's a such a preset credit score for renting an Apt.

Most places call previous landlords and look if there was any Evictions..

Message 24 of 25
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.  You've got me nervous now.  The last time I checked my FICOs, they were all over 700, but there have been recent judgements and collections.  We need a larger apartment with 1 1/2 - 2 bathrooms (special needs), as opposed to the one bedroom, one bath we have now.  However, based on your criteria, finding another landlord who will accept us (my girlfriend lives with me and has some FICOs below 700 and some collections also, but no judgements), may be a substantial problem.  Maybe we need to wait awhile and continue to improve our FICOs.  I now make sure I pay my credit card bill as soon as I get it (online), sometimes several payments a month and always make sure I do not run it up to excess.  I pay cash or debit for most things, trying only to use credit for some recurring monthly expenses and major purchases.  I rarely use checks anymore, except for a few regular recurring expenses.  My girlfriend is in a similar boat, but no longer has credit cards (I only have one and it is a reward points card, so is worth using to pay for some things every month).  We both get some financial help from our families, when needed.

If it helps, I think the people on this thread saying 650 is sufficient are closer to the truth than those saying 700 for Manhattan.

I was able to get an apartment in Park Slope literally four months after a student loan had gone into default. (I had just started, and have long since finished, rehabilitation.) I can't recall my score but can't imagine it was rosy at the time. I was also able to get an apartment in the Financial District -- high rise, etc. -- years before that, when my credit history was pretty slim,  as in, only accounts reporting were a then-5-year old Cap1 Platinum with a microscopic limit, and several student loans just about to enter repayment.

What mattered more for the latter was my income. If you far exceed the multpilier, you'll likely be fine. Also, some apartments don't check credit. Our current one we got by subleasing, and then leasing in our own names. Since we'd demonstrated ability to pay for six months before signing our own lease, thr landlord didn't care to see credit.

So look around, emphasize income, and  something will work out.

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.