Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good or Bad?

tag
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Good or Bad?

I noticed a fraudulent account pop up on my credit report and disputed and submitted the required fraud paperwork. After all the hassle the account is still there but is closed and all the baddies were deleted. Would it be beneficial beneficial to leave it as is or keep fighting to have it completely deleted? The account was only open for 3 months so I don't think it will effect my overall account age too much.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Good or Bad?

Make sure it is deleted.  Whoever opened it has that account number and can use it to verify at least one instance of 'you' to the CBRs.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is any thought of applying for credit in the next year- I would ask for it to be removed.

@illcrew3 wrote:
I noticed a fraudulent account pop up on my credit report and disputed and submitted the required fraud paperwork. After all the hassle the account is still there but is closed and all the baddies were deleted. Would it be beneficial beneficial to leave it as is or keep fighting to have it completely deleted? The account was only open for 3 months so I don't think it will effect my overall account age too much.

Message 3 of 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Yeah and make sure they deleted all related INQs as well.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.