Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letter

I am sending some goodwill letters to a few creditors and was wondering if anyone has had success with any of these specific lenders:

Discover
Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union
Sallie Mae
Capital One
Citibank

If so, who did you send your letter to to get results?

Has anyone ever received a letter agreeing to the goodwill adjustment and then the creditor never updated the credit file?

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill letter

Sallie Mae is a tough one (speaking from experience). No one can tell you for sure what success you might have.. It never hurts to ask and only costs you a stamp. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently paid off my sallie mae loans in January after receiving a 90 day past due report in January (I actually paid it off the day it was reported to the credit bureau) was indicated on my credit report.  Prior to that I was making my payments on time.  Do you think a Goodwill Letter would be effective for the late payment?  Or is the timing too soon, since the late report was made in January? 

On a more general note; would you suggest calling a creditor prior to writing a Goodwill letter?
Message 3 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Sallie Mae is the only company where I tell people to give up on... I fought with them for months on a 90 day late my brother has from 3 years ago (which is still there today). They wouldn't budge. Most people who have tried GW with Sallie Mae will tell you the same.

However, if you are feeling lucky, try this contact April.M.Petroski@slma.com

Keep us updated!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if a GW letter will result in an inquiry?  dP
Message 5 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

deadpools wrote:

No
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

deadpools wrote:

If a creditor did pull your CR in response to a GW letter, I would think you've got 'em for a $1,000 PP violation. But, I'd wait for their response to my GW letter before I hit 'em with an ITS letter.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.