New Visitor
Albaangel26

Got Married/credit question

Hi All, I am very very new here!

I have a question thats boggling my mind.

I Got married 2 years ago, and have kept my original last name instead of changing it over right away. My credit , has been very poor because of some stupid decisions in my youth. I have no idea what my credit score is but I haven't paid any debtors back so I can only imagine its terrible.

I recently went and started to get things changed into my married name. I broke my old cell phone and I applied for a new one and offered my new married name , I got approved( to my shock), with a 300 cap limit on the cell phone account.

About 4 months later I thought to myself, I need to get a secured credit card of some sort to try to repair some of this damage, so I applied for a CC, and got approved with a very small limit( 300 dollars), unsecured-- which completely shocked me again.

Is there a loop hole in the system? I feel like i slipped through the cracks on  getting a cell phone and a credit card. On my SSN I changed my last name, but, when i go to apply for phone/credit they didn't ask me to provide that specific information. Maybe I got set up as a "new" credit file accidently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to believe my credit is starting to repair it'self but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet....

Thanks for reading

New Visitor
Albaangel26

Re: Got Married/credit question

Oh , and one other question to add to my post,

if I did slip through the cracks, i assume they would eventually merge the new account with my original credit file.... so would my new found cred(phone/unsecured card) help me boost those scores? Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Got Married/credit question

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+