Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Married/credit question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got Married/credit question

Hi All, I am very very new here!

I have a question thats boggling my mind.

I Got married 2 years ago, and have kept my original last name instead of changing it over right away. My credit , has been very poor because of some stupid decisions in my youth. I have no idea what my credit score is but I haven't paid any debtors back so I can only imagine its terrible.

I recently went and started to get things changed into my married name. I broke my old cell phone and I applied for a new one and offered my new married name , I got approved( to my shock), with a 300 cap limit on the cell phone account.

About 4 months later I thought to myself, I need to get a secured credit card of some sort to try to repair some of this damage, so I applied for a CC, and got approved with a very small limit( 300 dollars), unsecured-- which completely shocked me again.

Is there a loop hole in the system? I feel like i slipped through the cracks on  getting a cell phone and a credit card. On my SSN I changed my last name, but, when i go to apply for phone/credit they didn't ask me to provide that specific information. Maybe I got set up as a "new" credit file accidently?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to believe my credit is starting to repair it'self but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet....

Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got Married/credit question

Oh , and one other question to add to my post,

if I did slip through the cracks, i assume they would eventually merge the new account with my original credit file.... so would my new found cred(phone/unsecured card) help me boost those scores? Thanks!

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Got Married/credit question

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.