Grams AAOA is on fleek!

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Grams AAOA is on fleek!

@manyquestions wrote:

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

Nice Discover age! I wonder who the heck accepted Discover back in 1985?? Lol

Sears.  Largest retailer at the time. They created it and promoted it in their stores. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_Card

interesting info. After reading the wiki article, I want to say that Sears relationship started to ring a bell. I was a kid back in 85 more interested in my He-Man action figures than in Discover Financial Services :-)

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 11 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@manyquestions wrote:

Sears.  Largest retailer at the time. They created it and promoted it in their stores. 

interesting info. After reading the wiki article, I want to say that Sears relationship started to ring a bell. I was a kid back in 85 more interested in my He-Man action figures than in Discover Financial Services :-)

If I'm not mistaken for a long time the only credit cards Sears would accept was their own PLCC and Discover; eventually they started taking the others (I believe Amex was the last addition, being added to the lineup in the late '90s.)

Also, for a long time Discover was the only card accepted by Sam's Club (again, other than their own PLCC).  This was especially significant in the days before the debit card. 

I remember going to Sam's Club with my parents to get me a PC for college back in '93 and Discover was literally the only option.  It was an off-brand 486-SX with a 13-in color monitor (packaged together) and the cost was around $1200 IIRC.  (For you youngsters, 'SX' was significant since it meant it lacked a math coprocessor, thus couldn't run some more complex software as I later found out... LOL).

Message 12 of 15
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

If I'm not mistaken for a long time the only credit cards Sears would accept was their own PLCC and Discover; eventually they started taking the others (I believe Amex was the last addition, being added to the lineup in the late '90s.)

Also, for a long time Discover was the only card accepted by Sam's Club (again, other than their own PLCC).  This was especially significant in the days before the debit card. 

I remember going to Sam's Club with my parents to get me a PC for college back in '93 and Discover was literally the only option.  It was an off-brand 486-SX with a 13-in color monitor (packaged together) and the cost was around $1200 IIRC.  (For you youngsters, 'SX' was significant since it meant it lacked a math coprocessor, thus couldn't run some more complex software as I later found out... LOL).

Interesting, for a minute there I thought you were going to say your parents were going to get you a Commodore 64!! But if I remember correctly, Commodore 64 was more elementary school for me. Uncle B, I think we're probably REALLY close to being the same age. 

But very interesting history on the Discover card. If they had Sears and Sam's Club locked up, that did quite well for 1980's-1990's. 

BTW, WtH is "fleek?" Lol

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 13 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

Interesting, for a minute there I thought you were going to say your parents were going to get you a Commodore 64!! But if I remember correctly, Commodore 64 was more elementary school for me. Uncle B, I think we're probably REALLY close to being the same age. 

But very interesting history on the Discover card. If they had Sears and Sam's Club locked up, that did quite well for 1980's-1990's. 

BTW, WtH is "fleek?" Lol

LOL... my first "computer" was, indeed a Commodore 64.  Smiley LOL

I had the tape drive (we were too poor for a disk drive) and an Okidata OkiMate 10 color printer - it was very cool at the time (and reasonably priced) but it's print quality doesn't even compare to the coupon printer at the grocery store checkout now... LOL.  All the hours I spend on that old thing typing "peek" and "poke" commands... ah, good times.  (Again, for the youngsters that's not 'naughty talk', I'm referring to "peeking" at values of a memory cell and "poking" values into them - it was how you programmed the thing).

I'll be 42 my next birthday, and I know I'm getting old when I have to go look up terminology on google.  Apparently now people say something is "on fleek" instead of saying "on point".  It makes little sense, but I can remember back when my parents were puzzled when we called something really good "bad", which also made little sense. (LOL)

I got my first Discover back in '93 or '94, and I recall that it was a bit limited at first where you could use it - not at all like today, and it was known back then for being one of the few cards I had with no AF.  I think the cash back was 1% (which was also notable), but at the time I was young and stupid - I simply charged up my cards and made the payments, I never even considered using the card to "earn" rewards.

If only i had that time again... haha.  grandpa.gif

Message 14 of 15
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

BTW, WtH is "fleek?" Lol

LOL... my first "computer" was, indeed a Commodore 64.  Smiley LOL

I had the tape drive (we were too poor for a disk drive) and an Okidata OkiMate 10 color printer - it was very cool at the time (and reasonably priced) but it's print quality doesn't even compare to the coupon printer at the grocery store checkout now... LOL.  All the hours I spend on that old thing typing "peek" and "poke" commands... ah, good times.  (Again, for the youngsters that's not 'naughty talk', I'm referring to "peeking" at values of a memory cell and "poking" values into them - it was how you programmed the thing).

I'll be 42 my next birthday, and I know I'm getting old when I have to go look up terminology on google.  Apparently now people say something is "on fleek" instead of saying "on point".  It makes little sense, but I can remember back when my parents were puzzled when we called something really good "bad", which also made little sense. (LOL)

I got my first Discover back in '93 or '94, and I recall that it was a bit limited at first where you could use it - not at all like today, and it was known back then for being one of the few cards I had with no AF.  I think the cash back was 1% (which was also notable), but at the time I was young and stupid - I simply charged up my cards and made the payments, I never even considered using the card to "earn" rewards.

If only i had that time again... haha.  grandpa.gif

Yup, just as I suspected! I will also be 42 in Nov. It would be so "BAD" if you still had that card. I wished I still had my Amex from back in the day. That would be so "BAD!" Lol I closed it because you couldn't carry a balance. Such youthful ignorance and foolishness!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.