Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Gripe about inquiry dispute process

I realize now that disputing fraudulent inquiries isn't the correct procedure, and that I should do the identity theft process, but I have to vent.

I had a hard inquiry pop up on my EQ report last week from "Bmag Luxury 2 LLC." Absolutely no clue what company that is, and since I haven't applied for credit in quite a while, I figured it was fraudulent and decided to dispute. I opened up the online dispute process and one of the available dispute reasons was something about fraudulent inquiry. Given this was a fraudulent inquiry, I selected that and fired off the dispute.

Got the results back today and EQ replied with the boilerplate that inquiries are factual recordings of access and that they wouldn't remove, and that I should contact the creditor.

Why even offer inquiry disputes, then, let alone offer the ability to dispute an inquiry as fraudulent, when all they do is say it's a factual record of report access? That seems totally bass ackwards to me to have a dispute option for something they won't do...

Starting scores as of 8/14: Low/mid 500s
myFICO 08 scores as of 9/18/17: EX: 685, TU: 687; EQ: 680 | Mortgage scores as of 9/18/17: EX02: 643, TU04: 663, EQ05: 651
Goal of FICO 8 700 across the board and mortgage scores above 680 by 11/1/17
USAA Cash Rewards Mastercard ($2000, 1/07) | Cap One QS ($8500, 07/14) | Cap One Spark Business ($3500,12/14) | CareCredit ($12,000, 3/10) | NFCU CashRewards Visa ($19,000, 3/15)| NFCU CashRewards Visa ($25,000, joint, 4/16) | NFCU CLOC ($15,000, 5/16) | Amazon Prime ($4000, 5/16) | Laid off in summer 2016, re-employed and restarting rebuild January 2017
Highlighted
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Gripe about inquiry dispute process

FCRA 611(a) expressly permits a consumer to dispute any item of information of record in their credit file, so a CRA will not state that a consumer cannot dispute.

However, once a CRA fills a request for a consumer credit report, the toothpaste is out of the proverbial tube, and cannot be undone.

They thereafter have a vested legal interest in not admitting any wrongdoing in sending your credit report to another.

They are requried under the FCRA to have received a statement of permissible purpose from the inquiree, and from that point on they will consider the fact of their filling the inquiry to be of no fault on their part.

Your concern is well-placed, as automatic verification makes a joke of any dispute, but they are likely concerned about broadly denying any right to dispute, as that would be contrary to section 611(a).  It's a CYA thing......

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.