Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC offers for non-home owner

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

HELOC offers for non-home owner

I know that my DD needs to order and check her credit reports ... but I have to ask.  Does it make any sense at all that Chase would be sending HELOC offers to a 20 year old non-home owner? 

She has a checking account with Chase and was recently employed by Chase.  But ... she definitely does not have a mortgage (even though we have one through Chase) and Chase's records should reflect that.  Surely, they don't just match her address up with their addresses on their mortgage accounts and assume that the customer is the owner of the home?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELOC offers for non-home owner

Dawn wrote:
I know that my DD needs to order and check her credit reports ... but I have to ask.  Does it make any sense at all that Chase would be sending HELOC offers to a 20 year old non-home owner? 

She has a checking account with Chase and was recently employed by Chase.  But ... she definitely does not have a mortgage (even though we have one through Chase) and Chase's records should reflect that.  Surely, they don't just match her address up with their addresses on their mortgage accounts and assume that the customer is the owner of the home?

It's probably a promotional thing that gets sent to X amount of random people. Check the postage, bet it says "Bulk Mail" or something like that.

If in doubt, have her ask, "Why am I being sent HELOC offers, I don't own a home" and they'll tell her.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not a home owner either and I get them from time to time from my bank, I agree that its probably just a promotional letter.

~~AttaGirl
Message 3 of 8
Dawn
Established Contributor

sidewinder wrote:
It's probably a promotional thing that gets sent to X amount of random people. Check the postage, bet it says "Bulk Mail" or something like that.

If in doubt, have her ask, "Why am I being sent HELOC offers, I don't own a home" and they'll tell her.

I'm certain it is just a promotional offer, it just seems strange that Chase would bother to spend the money on marketing materials being sent to those who are not possible candidates for their offers. 

I was concerned that there was something in her credit file that shouldn't be there, and that was the reason she was receiving such offers.  Now that I look at it more closely, there is no "opt-out pre-screen" statement like you see on the ones that come as a result of lists provided through the CRAs.

I will have her ask about it though, as well as let her know that she can "opt-out" of receiving all of their marketing materials.  It certainly cut down on the clutter in my mail box and on my voice mail messages. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 8
Dawn
Established Contributor

AttaGirl wrote:
I am not a home owner either and I get them from time to time from my bank, I agree that its probably just a promotional letter.

Thank you for sharing that tidbit.   Everytime we get one of those mailings, I begin to worry again that since she has received several notices in the past year or so that her personal information was on laptops that were stolen, that something fishy might be going on.  I shall relax a little now. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

That's good marketing if you ask me. Even though she doesn't own a home now, if she does buy at some point, she is likely to think of Chase for a HELOC, particularly if they market to her semi-regularly.

Before I was in a position to "invest", I would get promotional materials from a local financial planner. Anyway, once I got in the position to make some investments, guess whose name popped to mind?

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 03-07-2008 02:40 PM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

She has a 'business relationship' with Chase by having a checking account with them.  Perfectly legit for them to market to their own customers.  Not even sure you can opt-out on that one.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

LS  Whether the OP can opt out is determined by Chase's Privacy Policy with regards to marketing to their customers. OP needs to check privacy policy of the checking account or call Chase for answer.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.