Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP HELP HELP!!! Judgement

tag
Tink
New Contributor

Re: HELP HELP HELP!!! Judgement

UPDATE

I have to say I am not satisfied with the level of communication I am getting from my attorney.  As of last Saturday, the plaintiff had not contacted their attorney regarding my offer. I had to call my attorney to find out this info. He said we could go to court on 09/18 and ask for a continuane but that he would charge me another fee for his appearance. He said if I did not want to pay the fee I could go to court myself and tell the judge I recently retained an attorney, we are working on a settlement out of court, and to please grant a continuance. I decided to go to court on my own since I can't afford any more money right now and we were asking fo a continuance anyway. I figured I'd save the money in case I really need the attorney to show up in court. I show up at court yesterday and the clerk tells me "Oh. That case has been continued. Your attorney called us yesterday." The hearing will continue on 10/18/2007 if we do not reach an aggreement.
Message 81 of 88
Tink
New Contributor

UPDATE

I got a letter from the court dated 09/21/07 stating case has been dismissed without prejudice. My attorney is still working on the settlement offer.
Message 82 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

WTGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

It might be that since it has been dismissed   they will be past SOL now....ask the attorney and then ask another attorney......I do not know but I would be sure before paying 1cent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 83 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tink wrote:

I got a letter from the court dated 09/21/07 stating case has been dismissed without prejudice. My attorney is still working on the settlement offer.

Good on ya. Did the dismissal notice give any indication about the reason for the dismissal? If the court dismissed the case because the CA had no standing or proof of the debt, then they aren't going to be able to come back at you in court with the same "evidence". If they can't come at you in court, then that severely limits their standing to claim you still owe anything and report it on your CRs.

Talk to your attorney. See whether they are planning or threating to file suit against. The attorney might be able to make 'em go away completely.

Message 84 of 88
Tink
New Contributor

The notice just says Judgement : dismissed w/o prejudice. Then further below it says "This case dismissed without prejudice". My attorney believes the Judge would not grant a continuance to the plaintiff or perhaps the plaintiff's attorney was not available for court on the date they wanted to continue the hearing.. He did agree that we are now beyond the SOL. I am still going to honor the settlement as long as it's for what I agreed to pay. Remember, the only thing I ever disputed about this debt is the amount. I am willing to pay what I feel is owed and will honor that agreement since the case is dismissed. I won't pay 1 cent over.
Message 85 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well hold firm to a delete. Since you're beyond SOL, they know they have no leverage. The worm has turned. Your attorney could probably tell 'em delete and agree in writing or forget it. I suspect they'll fold and give the PFD.
Message 86 of 88
p-
Valued Contributor

HELP - Judgement...

Hello...

Back in 2003 I rented a room at a house that was near a college campus.  Decent rooomates, setup was we each rented direct from landlord, utilities included.  Times got tough, and the landlord started taking some sub par tennants...  i.e. tweakers, thieves, at one point we had the police raiding the place looking for a tennant.

My company offered me a promotion and relocation, so I gave 30 days notice, payed rent, and left.  It was before the end of the lease.

Landlord apparantly served someone (not me, I was in Phoenix) with papers and got a judgement against me for $2,000 for alleged wear and tear of common areas since I was a no show.

Now here I am with a Judgement.  It is dated 9-2004.  So, my questions:

How long will that Judgement stay on my credit report?

Does paying it make a difference?

How much does it affect my credit report?

It only shows on Equifax; Should I be worried that it will show up on the other two?

Do I have any legal recourse to appeal this much later?

Any help appreciated, thanks.  The rest of the story on my log:

6-4:
EXP - 577 EQU - 530  TRANS - 542

7-15:
EXP - 614 EQU - 603 TRANS - 644
Message 87 of 88
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP - Judgement...

update>>>>>  JUDGEMENT REMOVED FROM CREDIT REPORT SEE LOG BELOW
Message 88 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.