Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!!!. Help with dealing with CA/Collection Attorney

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!!!. Help with dealing with CA/Collection Attorney

HELP!!! I had two credit accounts that were sent to collections. The first one (orig. with Wells Fargo)  went to a "Law Office" in Georgia collecting a debt last Sept. After much wrangling, I settled the $3300 for $2300 and paid them over 4 months. In Feb. 2007, I made the last payment BUT to date even after my calls they have yet to send a letter indicating the account was paid.

A few days after making the last payment to this CA, I started getting calls from them on the second credit account that had previously been with another CA I request a DV (debt validation) with the woman I spoke with on the phone. Since Feb., they have been calling and sending letters, but I have still not received any validation of the debt. Two other factors here in dealing with this Law Office on the previous collection account, two disturbing things happened....1) They debited my account for $100 more on a payment after I specifically requested a set payment amount and date of payment with them...and 2) They never sent me a letter that the first account/debt was paid................HELP!!!!

My concerns....
1) Where do I begin with resolving this matter? I do not trust this "Law Office:" collecting this debt in light of what took place on the previous collection account. (btw...I am in Illinois...they are located in Georgia)

2) I am worried that they will try to sue me or get a judgement against me. (I have read up on this and understand there is that possibility)

3) The account was originally with Orchard Bank...then sold to Household...I still do not know who currently owns the debt.  The credit card was for a $728 balance, but the letters I have been getting indicate the balance owed is now $3000.

4) The last letter from them indicated they were reviewing assets and would be advising their client within the next 30 days of pursuing a suit against me.

Sorry for such a long post, but I am so frustrated about this. I did contact an attorney locally to get some help in settling the account for $800, but his retainer was $750 which is beyond what I am able to pay him at this time.

Any help, insight, advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP!!!!. Help with dealing with CA/Collection Attorney

Is any of this showing on your credit report??
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if it is on my credit reports. I am looking right now at purchasing the SuzeOrman FicoKit to take a look at my credit reports.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made the mistake of getting all 3 reports for free. When filing disputes the CRA has 45 days in order to correct it. So for hubby I went to each site & paid for report. that way the CRA only has 30 days.
 You can also get your free report (only 1 per year) If you find it on there then  IF needed pay to get report & file a dispute from the paid one.

Remember the federal law is 7 years for it to fall off report. A CA may NOT change the date of your last payment!!!!!
You also need to know your state SOL.    http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8

Always remember that CA will try & bully you!!  I would get everything in writting. If you talk on phone do not give them info. make them mail it to you.
  Tuscani has  whole page for you to check out  it is great & full of info.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.