Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!!! - I am being sued!!

tag
mandi
Established Member

HELP!!!! - I am being sued!!

Please help me! I am being sued and I was never notified!! Here;s the story.

I have a delinquent account with, who else Cap 1 for $827. It is delinquent about 2 years - I have been very ill and out of work and the account just slipped through the cracks.  Anyway, a family member who has an ongoing court case was doing a search of her upcoming court date online and saw that I have a case pending against me and asked me about it.  I told her I knew nothing about it, so she directed me to the state's court site.  A collection agency representing Cap 1 filed suit against me in Nov. with an answer date of 2/13/08. 

1. I have never heard from this collection agency via the mail regarding this debt.
2. I have never heard from this collection agency via the phone regarding this debt.
3. I have never received a summons regarding this debt.

What should I do?

Help me!!!!!

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: HELP!!!! - I am being sued!!

Hi, mandi --I'm moving this to General Credit Issues, as you should get a better range of responses there. I don't know much about this, so I'm deferring to others who do.

While you're waiting, please read Credit Scoring 101 (link at the top of the GC forum), and check Frequently Requested Threads in the same location.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should contact an attorney.  Also, if the docket entries are on line, you can look for an entry regarding the date of service.  In some jurisdictions, you can be served by publication, if other methods of service fail.

Message 3 of 4
Minnie
Contributor

You should try to consult with an attorney. If some sort of proper service was made, you still have time to answer. If you don't answer by the time specified, the plaintiff can and probably will get a default judgment against you. The attorney can figure out the issue with the service of process, and tell you whether or not proper service was made. You should be able to find an attorney who will at least consult with you for a small fee or no fee. Good luck.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.