Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!!! Incorrect information on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!!! Incorrect information on my credit report

I had requested my credit report through experian since we can not get it through myfico. So here is what I find: 1) civil claim judgement filed against me by midland funding llc- I have no clue what this is all about, who they represent, why I never heard about this before, and most importantly I don't owe anybody money-no credit card debt, medical bills or anything else. 2) I am showing a collection account from esurance, I never had esurance so called to find out what it was for and they couldn't find me in their system as ever being a customer.
I know I can dispute esurance but what can I do about the judgement? Neither of these 2 accounts appear on transunion or equifax, I check these reports every 2-3 months on myfico. I am fuming what are my options?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: HELP!!!! Incorrect information on my credit report

I'd be fuming too.   When you can put aside the anger, make a game plan.   I am only about half way through a cup of coffee, so this may not be totally coherent.  Smiley Happy  And others will jump in too with suggestions.

einsurance - dispute directly with the company.   Do it in writing and send the dispute letter CMRR.  If they can not provide proof that it's your account, they need to remove it from your CR and send you a letter saying that they  have.

judgement from midland - I think Midland is a CA.  DV them.

And before you do any of this, pull your CR one more time.  Sometimes they accidently merge with someone else's of similar name/information.   SO what you saw then may be gone.

Ask any questions - we help each other.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with a rep at esurance and confirmed that this wasn't my debt, it belongs to another individual with the same name who lives a couple of towns away from me. It was posted by the collection agency they use-NCO financial. Esurance gave me a fax number to send in the dispute so they can remove this information from my CR. I called midland funding llc and they said that the account was now being handled by new century financial and that I need to contact them. Ofcourse it's saturday and they are closed. I am going to the court on Monday to get more info/documents from the judgement filed against me in may 2011. I thank you for your response. I was getting ready to buy a new car but now I will have to wait until all this is cleared from my experian report. I am so upset about having to now put $1700 in repairs for my current car instead of a down payment on a new car.
Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had requested my credit report through experian since we can not get it through myfico. So here is what I find: 1) civil claim judgement filed against me by midland funding llc- I have no clue what this is all about, who they represent, why I never heard about this before, and most importantly I don't owe anybody money-no credit card debt, medical bills or anything else. 2) I am showing a collection account from esurance, I never had esurance so called to find out what it was for and they couldn't find me in their system as ever being a customer.
I know I can dispute esurance but what can I do about the judgement? Neither of these 2 accounts appear on transunion or equifax, I check these reports every 2-3 months on myfico. I am fuming what are my options?

Dispute the judgement as well as not yours.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA provides a very powerful tool to consumers who allege that an account reported to a CRA is not theirs.  It is akin to a legal discovery process that is normally only available during a court proceeding.

Under FCRA 609(e), a consumer who alleges that any account or transaction related thereto was not authorized by them can, if they first back up that assertion by filing a police report (FCRA 609(e)(2)(B)) asserting it was not authorized by them and thus a likely issue of identity theft, send that police report to the creditor, along with proof of their identity, can compel the business entity to provide the consumer "a copy of application and business records in the control of the business entity, whether maintained by the business entity or by another person on behalf of the business entity, evidencing any transaction alleged to be the result of identity theft."

You dont have to rely only on the toothless dispute process, which requires no production of documentation and puts the consumer in the catch-22 situation of proving a negative,.    It shifts the burden to the reporting business entity to provide the consumer the needed documentation.

Once you have such documentation, it provides factual support for any subsequent dispute.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will definitely consider that option. Thank you so much for your suggestion.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.