Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP MY MOTHER OPENED ACCOUNTS IN MY NAME

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP MY MOTHER OPENED ACCOUNTS IN MY NAME

@Anonymous wrote:

You know there is a chance they (meaning the cops) wont even pursue the case.  Of the three times, I have known people to fill out these reports, nothing was really done about it other than the police giving the person filing the report a  copy of the police report, so that they could send it to whoever they needed to--especially if the accounts opened were stuff like credit cards.   I imagine as long as there is no car or land or house involved, they probably wont do much about it.  I am not saying they wont, but no one I know has ever been pursued.

But here is no guarantee. Especially if the person accused of the crime may or may not have priors, or be on parole/probation.

Message 11 of 17
DI
Super Contributor

I posted a valid suggestion, but look like it got deleted.  

I removed the first post and I've edited this one as well because the suggestion that someone audition for a TV program when the subject is as serious as ID theft is friviolous, non productive, inappropriate, and adds nothing to the discussion. While all us need to have a sense of humor when discussing all the serious subjects approached on these Forums we also need to be aware of how our words might be interpreted by the person asking for advice and IMO your comments were way off topic.

MarineVietvet, myFICO moderator

Message 12 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

At a minimum, I would put a credit freeze on all 3 CRAs.  It is a tough choice to call the police on your mom.  It would be hard for me to do that.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@meka1984 wrote:

I need some advice. My mother has opened up accts in my name and has not been paying them.

What do I do about this? I had no idea what she was doing.

It's tough because to avoid liability you'd need to file a police report.  But turning in your mother can be difficult.

How long ago were the accounts opened?  When did they go into default?  How much were the credit limits?  If the amounts are minimal, the police will not likely be interested in following up on the case.  Even if the amounts are substantial, if the accounts have not been used in a long time it may be beyond the SOL for a criminal prosecution. 

Message 14 of 17
slarano
Frequent Contributor

This is definitely an arduous situation. I know firsthand because it happened to me about four or five years ago. Two credit cards opened in my name and max'd out, and I would have not found out when I did had I not gotten the mail one day as it was being delivered (this was real lucky considering I was just home for holiday break in between semesters at college). Luckily (if you could say that) for me, the accounts, although max'd, were not late nor had they drastically affected my credit profile. 

When family is involved, there are a few things that will probably be considered by the person affected by the credit fraud before they take any kind of final action. How was their relationship with their parent before the situation took place? Why did they take out credit in your name in the first place? And how far along has your credit been affected?

To make a long story short, I did not take legal action. My mother was in legitimate financial troubles, but after things settled, she did promise to help pay down the debts (totaling around $9K), even if it just meant paying the monthly payments to keep the accounts in good standing (as in no late's, even if they were close to max'd). But keep in mind, I did end up having to take the brunt of the debt, and if I wasn't proactive in paying it down, the accounts would probably still be close to max'd as of today. All in all, the accounts are now at $0 balance, but mostly due to my hard earned money paying them down. 

At the very least, freeze your credit reports. Take initiative, so that this can't and won't happen again. And good luck with your credit profile, and let's hope it's not too far gone and is still in good standing.

ImageImageImage

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with filing fraud.

i know a woman who wrecked a couple of her childrens credit by doing the same thing.

I love my mother but if she was so lacking in caring for me that she'd do this Id turn her *** in immediately without blinking.

Message 16 of 17
Jstic
Valued Member

It is probably going to come down to a decision on your part as to what is more important to you, repairing your credit file and reporting this illegal activity, or maintaining whatever type relationship you have with your mother. Hopefully she will treat this situation like an adult, but based on what she has done already, I would not count on it.

Good luck.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.