Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP with recent Judgement

tag
angie23
Valued Member

HELP with recent Judgement

So my husband got a letter from a collection agency for a court date for an old Walmart credit card suing for like $600. We totally forgot about it! Yesterday in the mail he recieved a letter that the judgement was filed on May 3rd. Will this appear on his credit report? Is there anything I can do to keep it from reporting? I'm freaking out as he has great credit and do not want this reported! What should I do?!?!!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP with recent Judgement

A judgment occurs once the court has heard the case and awarded to the plaintiff.

You appear to not yet have been to trial.

If you pay before the trial date, no judgment will be awarded.

Message 2 of 13
angie23
Valued Member

We did have a court date, we got something in the mail a couple months ago and just forgot about it, so we didn't go. I'm not sure what to do now.
Message 3 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you had notice and failed to show, then they likely issued a default judgment.

It will likely appear in his credit report in a few months, once it is posted in the court public record and found by the CRA in their next search.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Message 5 of 13
angie23
Valued Member

Is there any way to avoid that from happening?
Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@angie23 wrote:
Is there any way to avoid that from happening?

1st step

Offer a PFD 

If successful then work on removing it from PR

Just be aware the amount has probably grown due to legal fees and filings now all associated with the judgement being granted Smiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with everyone else,.if you can find a way to pay it whether it be PFD or not before the court case, that would be the route to go.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The judgment has been issued.  They had the court date and did not show up.

Best way to fix it now - pay it and get a Satisfaction of Judgment.  The creditor is supposed to record it in the public records.  If this is done right away, it may not show up on your credit report - but it will show as paid in the public records.  This is important. 

Message 9 of 13
angie23
Valued Member

Should we contact the creditor and see if they will settle? Or is that a slim chance since they won the judgement?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.