Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERES ONE FOR YOU

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

HERES ONE FOR YOU

Does anyone out there know how the CRA inputs accounts? Like my husbands reports have 3 accts not his, 3 ca not his. Have disputed, but just wondering if company keys in info or CRA. Like names is why this is messed up., but ssn is different and middle name is different, just wondering who to blame
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Re: HERES ONE FOR YOU

RUSTY101 wrote:
Does anyone out there know how the CRA inputs accounts? Like my husbands reports have 3 accts not his, 3 ca not his. Have disputed, but just wondering if company keys in info or CRA. Like names is why this is messed up., but ssn is different and middle name is different, just wondering who to blame

Hi Rusty,

The lenders and CAs submit the accounts to the credit bureaus and the bureaus link this information to a consumer using name and address first, then SSN and DOB, if available.  There's no requirement that SSNs are provided by the lender or CA -- only names and addresses.

Most lenders provide SSNs and DOBs along with names and addresses because they obtain this information from the borrower in the application for credit and maintain in their account records.  The CAs, however, often only receive names and addresses -- and these aren't always current -- when they buy the debt from a lender, and thus don't have a SSN to provide to the bureaus.

This is also the case with public record gathering by the bureaus, as judgments don't always contain SSNs either.

Sounds like your husband has some disputing to do.Smiley Mad

Barry
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Particular as banks and lenders are bought and sold--or go near belly up and get scooped up, as is likely to happen to any number of mortgage lenders over the next 12-18 months as they go subprime bust--I daresay a lot of data out there is still on paper.

Bank A buys Bank B, and they inherit, among other things, a file room with row after row of file cabinets with "stuff" in them. Assuming they find a loan app for a given loan, it might be a second or third generation copy of a carbonless 4 page loan app.

"Heh Ethel, does that look like a 5 or a 6 to you?"
"Looks more like an 8 to me."
"Yeah, probably right. OK, DOB month is August."

As for the dispute process, it's anyone's guess. Sometimes the CA, OC or CRA receives a dispute, cannot verify something which does not belong to the person disputing, and they do the right thing and delete. Other times, not so much.

With whom did your husband dispute?

Message 3 of 4
silly34
Regular Contributor

Around 2001 I pulled my report and found a $20,000 judgment against me. I was floored and had no clue what it was or where it came from. Later figured out it was my dad for his failed business. Our names are pretty much the same except the middle initial. They listed a B. instead of an R. Go figure.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.