Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP for DirectTV and phone company, dayum

tag
racer-x
Valued Contributor

HP for DirectTV and phone company, dayum

I specifically asked directtv and the phone company if they were going to be soft pulls when they asked for my ssn. They told me soft.

I just got a myfico alert, 2 new inqs. Score dropped 5 pts.

Can direcrttv and phone company remove them when i call and raise hell tomorrow?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: HP for DirectTV and phone company, dayum

The problem you are going to run into is that without a recorded record of the phone call there is no evidence of the promise made by the customer representative. And then secondly they are likely to say that the representative misunderstood the details of the question. The bottom line is that as frequently discussed on these boards is that service providers have a "permissible purpose" to check your credit profile for services ordered. Now if you were just calling to inquire about cost of service and did not place an order that may be a different argument.

The inquiries will remain on your report for two years but are only factored in FICO scoring for one year. And their relative importance lessens during the one year scoring time frame. There is no method to dispute inquiries with the credit bureaus and it is exempted from direct dispute with the service provider. Take it as a lesson learned and a minor frustration. There are bigger deals in credit reporting (and life) to be concerned over.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I talked to DirectTV this morning.  The lady was great.  I basically filed a dispute with DTV explaiining how I was told by the rep that it would be a soft pull and not be reported/show up on any CRA.  I also explained how I am buying a house in the future and am trying to keep any additional inquiries from hitting my reports.

I also explained, had I known it was going to be a HP, that I would NOT have purchased their product.  I made sure she realized that for me,  buying a house and having my credit in the best shape possible, is more important than me saving $75 a month for DirectTV.  And that is the truth.  I would not have gotten DTV at the cost of 2 HP's.

She said WHEN, not if, I receive my letter of removal by DTV, that I need to call EQ and confirm that the inquiry had been removed.  She actually gave me the number for EQ that I have on file or use in these circumstances.  Could be the same number for everybody, but nonetheless, I accepted the number that she offered.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I hope they follow through.

If you actually filed a direct dispute with them, and they are aware of the direct dispute rules, they could summarily dismiss it.

Disputes over credit inquiries are specfically excluded from the direct dispute process.

As to whether they can "remove," the CRA may decline to do so, as the toothpaste is already out of the tube.  They sent the CR, so can assert that they must retain their records of the requestor's statement of permissible purpose.  So it will most likely involve their change of the inquiry code, which would have to come from the inquiree.

Message 4 of 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I have Directv and they did state that they needed to pull my credit to see what tier and financing options are available

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 7
racer-x
Valued Contributor

They told me it would be a soft pull vs a hard pull.  There lies the problem.

DTV said they would remove the HP and should be gone from the report within 45 days.

Message 6 of 7
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

They told me it would be a soft pull vs a hard pull.  There lies the problem.

DTV said they would remove the HP and should be gone from the report within 45 days.

Thats awesome man

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.