Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Having Issues?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Having Issues?????

I had a voicemail yesterday from someone claiming to be from the Security Dept. of HSBC, calling about my Best Buy account. I tried to log onto my account but there is a message posted saying it cannot be accessed. That message is still there today. Today I called Best Buy. They tried to connect me to 3 different numbers for HSBC Security but were unsuccessful. They gave me one of the numbers so I can try on my own; it matched the number that was left on my VM message yesterday. I just tried to call back and am getting a message that they are unable to answer my call due to an emergency situation. Sounds to me like maybe they had a security breach and were trying to call me let me know my account had been compromised? I'm getting a little paranoid now. Has anyone else heard from them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: HSBC Having Issues?????

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a voicemail yesterday from someone claiming to be from the Security Dept. of HSBC, calling about my Best Buy account. I tried to log onto my account but there is a message posted saying it cannot be accessed. That message is still there today. Today I called Best Buy. They tried to connect me to 3 different numbers for HSBC Security but were unsuccessful. They gave me one of the numbers so I can try on my own; it matched the number that was left on my VM message yesterday. I just tried to call back and am getting a message that they are unable to answer my call due to an emergency situation. Sounds to me like maybe they had a security breach and were trying to call me let me know my account had been compromised? I'm getting a little paranoid now. Has anyone else heard from them?

I logged on to the OrchardBank (HSBC) site this morning with no problem.  They are hounding me to go paperless again, but I already am...  Although I did get a printed copy in the mail on teh last statement.  So I went to sign up for paperless and it said I already am.

Sounds like they have some issues...

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got through and found out someone has gotten a hold of my ssn and was making changes to my account. They called in to ask for a credit line increase. They are going to cancel my card and reissue. I asked if they could just close the account; she said I may have to wait until I receive the new card then call in to cancel. I already have a freeze with all three bureaus thanks to the security breach with Pentagon Federal earlier this year. Not really sure what else I need to do.

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got through and found out someone has gotten a hold of my ssn and was making changes to my account. They called in to ask for a credit line increase. They are going to cancel my card and reissue. I asked if they could just close the account; she said I may have to wait until I receive the new card then call in to cancel. I already have a freeze with all three bureaus thanks to the security breach with Pentagon Federal earlier this year. Not really sure what else I need to do.

Sounds like you're pretty much OK. Are you able to access your account again? You'll want to keep an eye on it, to see if any fraudulent charges pop on, and then see if they're properly removed (or credited back, however HSBC does it.)

Was it the store card or the BBRZ MC?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Capital One website was down yesterday.  I wonder if this is related?  Has anyone heard anything about a security breach?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was the BB store card. I never was able to log into my account; I'm thinking maybe they blocked access because they were suspicious of fraudulent activity. Anyway, I called to close the account and mailed off a letter expressing the same desire and requesting a letter confirming it was closed. I'm monitoring my other credit accounts to make sure nothing pops up. 
@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you're pretty much OK. Are you able to access your account again? You'll want to keep an eye on it, to see if any fraudulent charges pop on, and then see if they're properly removed (or credited back, however HSBC does it.)

Was it the store card or the BBRZ MC?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.