Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Mortgage and credit dispute --taking forever to update

tag
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

HSBC Mortgage and credit dispute --taking forever to update

While combing through my credit reports looking for more things to dispute/remove etc... I discovered that our HELOC (through HSBC) is not reporting the same for DH and myself. In fact, the last time they updated my report was JULY 07. For DH, the last update was January 08. So our balances are nearly $30,000 off.

I tried to dispute through CRAs (balance incorrect) but was told it was verified. That verification was from when I disputed the balance (same problem) back in July.

Next, I contacted HSBC and was told the only way to have this addressed was to fax a letter (no snail mail or telephone number) to their Credit Report Dispute Dept. I did this on April 18th. I confirmed they had received the fax and was told that it would be handled within 10 days.

I have diligently checked my TrueCredit Report each day and still no update. HSBC is taking their sweet time. I can guarantee if I was 1 day past 30 days they would update immediately.

Has anybody had the same problem with HSBC?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC Mortgage and credit dispute --taking forever to update

ozgirl wrote:
While combing through my credit reports looking for more things to dispute/remove etc... I discovered that our HELOC (through HSBC) is not reporting the same for DH and myself. In fact, the last time they updated my report was JULY 07. For DH, the last update was January 08. So our balances are nearly $30,000 off.

I tried to dispute through CRAs (balance incorrect) but was told it was verified. That verification was from when I disputed the balance (same problem) back in July.

Next, I contacted HSBC and was told the only way to have this addressed was to fax a letter (no snail mail or telephone number) to their Credit Report Dispute Dept. I did this on April 18th. I confirmed they had received the fax and was told that it would be handled within 10 days.

I have diligently checked my TrueCredit Report each day and still no update. HSBC is taking their sweet time. I can guarantee if I was 1 day past 30 days they would update immediately.

Has anybody had the same problem with HSBC?

IF the last time that you disputed was in July of 2007.......file another one for you and DH. If it comes back verified....send the OC letter  CMRRR!!!!!!!  they must answer it & they must do so in 30 days.

You want everything in writting!!!!! 

File a complaint with the FTC....about the answer to your dispute in 2007...also about them (OC) telling you that you could NOT send them a letter  USPS..... The FTC should love that.

You want everything in writting as you are getting all your ducks in a row for a lawsuit!

The law says that an OC    MUST answer the OC letter only after they verify with the CRAs.Do not let them off the hook!

OC LETTER                 make changes where needed

Company
Address
Address

Date

Re: Acct #xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently pulled my credit report from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion and noticed this account was listed on each of my reports as a collection I immediately disputed this information with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion and the results of the investigation came back as "verified".

Since I have disputed the account with the credit bureaus, and you have verified them, I would like to see what sort of records you have for this alleged account. Under the new FACTA laws, you are required to conduct an investigation on this account, and I am now requesting it.

In order to clear up this matter, I would like to see:

Complete account history, including, all statements, records of all activity, payments, collection attempts, and any charges added for collection activity; In short, any and all documentation pertaining to this account

If you don't respond with the results of the investigation (as is required per the FCRA), I will assume you have no documentation and therefore you were negligent in providing the credit bureaus with accurate information. At this point, you would also be in violation of the FCRA merely for not responding within the 30-day period.

Please send all correspondence to:
Name
Address
Address

Sincerely,

DO NOT SIGN......JUST TYPE NAME

Message 2 of 5
joanee
New Visitor

What does OC mean or stand For???

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A bit of clarification on filing a direct dispute with the OC.

Disputes sent directly to the furnisher of the information are handled under FCRA 623(a)(8) and the implementing regs at 16 CFR 660.4.

The consumer has the option to file a dispute under either the CRA process or directly with the furnisher.

You do not have to first dispute with the CRA to file a direct dispute.  In fact, just the opposite is the case.  Once having filed a dispute through a CRA, a furnisher can dismiss any direct dispute without any investigation as being substantially the same as a prior dispute.  16 CFR 660.4(f)(ii).  One issue, one requirement for the furnishr to investigate the disputed information.

They may still investigate and respond, so I recommend sending a direct dispute, but they can dismiss it if they so choose.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.