cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had an unauthorized hard inquiry on my report, any advice?

tag
Thammer
New Contributor

Had an unauthorized hard inquiry on my report, any advice?

Hey all,

I got an alert for a hard inquiry from a company I've never heard of. I couldn't find much info about them on here either so I figured I'd post.

The name of the company that showed up was FUNDING STE/MOREQUITY INC and I've never dealt with them. They only pulled Experian as far as the alerts go.

I called their 800 number that showed up on my report and they couldn't tell me why they had hard pulled me but I told them I didn't authorize it so they suggested I fax in a letter to dispute along with my social # and copy of my ID. I am kind of skeptical to do that since I don't know much about these people. I also found it odd that they couldn't tell me anything over the phone.

It wasn't a debt collector but their website looks like maybe they deal in mortgage loans. The problem is although I had been mortgage shopping I closed on my mortgage loan back on June 14th so I shouldn't still have any mortgage companies still hard pulling me.

Any tips on how I should dispute this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Thammer
New Contributor

Re: Had an unauthorized hard inquiry on my report, any advice?

I just had a thought right after I posted this. One of the lenders I shopped was Quicken Loans and they hard pulled me after I closed even though I ended up going through a local broker and not them. Are they associated or does Quicken possibly use Funding Suite to pull mortgage scores?

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Thammer wrote:

Hey all,

I got an alert for a hard inquiry from a company I've never heard of. I couldn't find much info about them on here either so I figured I'd post.

The name of the company that showed up was FUNDING STE/MOREQUITY INC and I've never dealt with them. They only pulled Experian as far as the alerts go.

I called their 800 number that showed up on my report and they couldn't tell me why they had hard pulled me but I told them I didn't authorize it so they suggested I fax in a letter to dispute along with my social # and copy of my ID. I am kind of skeptical to do that since I don't know much about these people. I also found it odd that they couldn't tell me anything over the phone.

It wasn't a debt collector but their website looks like maybe they deal in mortgage loans. The problem is although I had been mortgage shopping I closed on my mortgage loan back on June 14th so I shouldn't still have any mortgage companies still hard pulling me.

Any tips on how I should dispute this?

Thanks.

Bravo for not sending any personal info

If your're sure its not yours or a second mortgage associated with your loan I would dispute directly with CB but before doing that because mortgage loans are sold to other companies in bulk call you current lender for verification.

Either way after closing no one should have HP'ed you again YMMV

I had one sold 2 times in 1 year before

Edit you just updated while I was typing dispute any HP's from quicken after closing

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
Thammer
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Myjourney. Yes I should have mentioned my mortgage has already been sold from the original lender, but it wasn't the company that hard pulled my report. Also, they didn't do another hard pull it was a soft pull from them.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with Quicken Loans. The more I read online about Funding Suite it sounds like they are a company that helps provide mortgage credit scores to other lenders. I have disputed the other actual Quicken Loan pulls but I wonder if they used my info and had another company pull my report. Quicken literally was calling me daily after I had decided not to go with them when I bought my house. I had to repeatedly tell them I was no longer interested in their services and yet they still pulled my report.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You should be aware of the permissible purpose authorized by FCRA 604(a)(3)(E):

'intends to use the information as a potential investor or servicer, or current insurer, in connection with a valuation of, or an assessment of the credit or prepayment risks associated with, and existing credit obligation;"

However, speculation as to their stated permissible purpose wont establish whether it was actually authorized.

To determine what they asserted as their permissible purpose to the CRA, I would suggest filing a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) as to what permissile pupose they certified to the CRA when they obtained your CR.

Message 5 of 6
Thammer
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply and information RobertEG. I will research that and go that route. I guess my main concern is that this company wasn't involved with either my original mortgage or the new company that purchased it. Unless of course this is a company that lenders use to pull scores. Either way once we closed and the deed recorded I see no reason for any mortgage lender to hard pull my credit again. I would expect a soft pull however.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.