Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harassment for Debt that is not mine

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Harassment for Debt that is not mine

For the past several weeks, I am receiving phone calls from Bank of America, for an overdraft on a checking account for someone that has the same name as me. I have repeatedly explained to the person calling, who does not speak good English, that this is not my account. I do not have any Bank of America accounts and that is not my S. S. #. They say they will remove my name and number from their system but I have now received 10 phone calls and I am getting extremely angry about this. I can barely communicate with the caller and I don't know who to call about this matter. I am tempted to call the attorney generals office. Anyone have any good ideas?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Harassment for Debt that is not mine

If you have caller ID  google the phone #. It might not be BOA.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Call BOA customer service and ask for a supervisor.  Expalin it to them.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the tip on googling the phone number. I am afraid to call the customer service dept for fear that I will just get another person that does not speak English. I guess I could just hang up if that is the case. I will try that first thing in the morning.

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Call, and immediately ask to speak to the supervisor on duty.  The account reps who answer the phone cannot deal with any decisions that involve discretion, or brains,  Dont waste any discussion with them, for they cannot help you.  They dont have the authority.  Get maqnagement on the phone.

Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I had a similar experience.  It took reminding them that they were calling me between 1-4 am which is VERY illegal and I was getting ready to file official complaints against them and press harassment charges.

They really were calling me at that time in the morning.  I was in a different time zone then they were and they had the WRONG number.  

I told the supervisor one more call and I was taking my phone records which CLEARLY showed REPEATED early morning calls to the courthouse.  

They stopped calling me!  Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

The other thing you can do is block the number.  
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.