Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harassment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Harassment?

Many people have auto loans w/due dates...I've said on here before that I have a "custom" horrendous interest rate loan, which I've been paying for 37 months...my due date is the 5th - I have a 10 day grace period before a late fee hits, and there have been a couple of times where I've had to make the payment during that time, before the late fee hits...due to pay schedule...

What I want to know is do others experience the auto finance calling when you are (3) days past the due date...this has happened to me twice.  Guaranteed...I got the call yesterday and told the lady I know I have a grace period, she said that is NOT a suggested due date, this IS the due date, you are required to pay it...I said I know when the due date is...they called every hour from 8 AM to 6 PM CST, and started at 8 AM again this AM...I've been answering the call to track on my phone, and told them today after the 3rd call I would be paying this week, please note in your record I am nowhere near 30 days late, and I will NOT be answering any more calls from you.

It's Chase, used to be Bank One.

Thanks for any input, I've never run into this issue before...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Harassment?

Well, I had RoadLoans and they're pretty nice actually!  They don't have a grace period, but they did call me last month because I was three days past due (same thing pay date)  Now I'm actually one month ahead WHEW.  They were FINE accepting a post dated check.

I think what you have does border on harassment, I would be PIZZED OFF!  Was this an Indian Call Center call?  They are vicious!
Message 2 of 10
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I have Chrysler Finanacial and the ten day grace period. I have had accounts with them for nine years and it is my custom to pay (online) , on about the sixth day of the grace period. I did verify years ago that they consider that on time, and it reports that way on CBs.
I have never had a phone call and further, once there was a glitch on the internet and the payment didn't record and they took off the late fee and it  was considered on time.

I would say you are dealing with subprime lenders; or at least they are acting like it.

Good luck,
RP
Message 3 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

beach, is there any way that you can get one pay period ahead? So that you are paying 8-10 days before the due date. (Not a whole month ahead; just if you get paid biweekly, pay one paycheck early and have that be your new time for paying.)

It sounds like it wouldn't take these people any prompting at all to start loading up your credit report with 30-days, whether they are or not. You might want to rummage around for your original terms and conditions.

If there's any way that you can get ahead of the game, I think it would enormously benefit your credit reports and your peace of mind.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I just sold some unused jewelry yesterday and collected $400!  That's going to get me just a wee bit closer.  Also, try eBay if you're a bit short.   Everyone has something to sell!
Message 5 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Heck for a call an hour all day I'd be putting in a complaint to the FTC.

But consider seeing if they will change your due date if they can and that will help.  Chase will do that with credit cards I know.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Nuvell and my car pymt is due every 10th of the month, lately they call around the 14 or 15th of each month if my pymt is not received. I do have a 5 day grace period, so the other day, I called them and ask for a new due date of the 23rd and guess what they gave it to me (1 more year to pay the car off).  I would suggest you ask for a change of due date if the current due date is not going to work in your favor.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the input & advice!  I have to say...I had the same thing happen that one time exactly one year ago, I paid on line, their website...for whatever reason it didn't go through, and I had been within the 30 days the past two months (job transition)...so they called, which I understand, however, I had to call them and ASK them why they hadn't taken my money...I went round & round with the MN AG and Office of Comptroller, it was insane because they just kept playing this game - I've never had an official "late" on this loan, the problem is, it's a horrendous loan - 23.25% PER DAY so I think they believe they can harass so to speak when I don't hit the due date...

Thankfully a few years ago while in the grace period I asked a "regular" customer service person these questions:  can I push it to the back end of loan...she said yes, but I wouldn't because you accrue interest and would end up owing about $1500 MORE than I should have...second, she said I wouldn't change the date either because you'll owe daily interest for those days...I was thankful she offered this, then she realized I had a "custom" loan - must mean I'm a baddie...so she couldn't talk to me any more to help me inform them of the date I'd be paying.

It's a circus and I just find it hard to believe once in a while (literally) when someone pays during the grace period this happens.  I am not in a position to pay it off, but I can tell you this, unfortunately I didn't read the fine lines at the time, I was just thankful to get an auto loan in my own name...never again will I be that down to take that kind of offerSmiley Sad  BTW -   It used to be Bank One
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm sure this is something you've thought about, but is a re-fi an option? Maybe through a local credit union. These people just seem incredibly scary, and it seems like such a risk to your credit history. Smiley Surprised

And this is Chase? whoa...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've thought about re-fi, but they won't because it's one year too oldSmiley Sad  I have exactly 1 year of payments left, and last year as I mentioned I had to bring in the high power to ensure nothing was reported wrong...I am hoping to find the means to pay this off early...only because I can't believe they can get away with this, to me it's the point in principal...

I did not know I signed any such agreement that says they can start computer dialing at 8 AM and continue all day every day before I even hit past the grace period...it just seems like harassment...there is no way I'm giving up that car, and trust me, if I get the funds to pay it off...that payment is going Federal Express w/tracking!

They are the worst I've ever heard of or dealt with!  I still can't believe there isn't some kind of recourse for the consumer - I mean come on, my credit is getting far better but let's keep kicking people when they are down - it just isn't right!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.