Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiries vs Soft

tag
soylentorange20
New Contributor

Hard Inquiries vs Soft

Newbie here, been lurking for a few weeks. I've seen the terms Hard Inquiries and Soft Inquiries I take it that they mean when somebody looks at your Credit Report. My ? is, if you are looking at your Credit Report, how can you tell if you've had a hard or soft inq done? My inquiring mind wants know. Thanx -Mike

Message Edited by soylentorange20 on 03-31-2008 11:25 AM
EQ=699 (12/15/2011)
TU=660 (12/15/2011)

Trying to move on up
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Inquiries vs Soft

Hey, Mike. New here myself and what I gather is a hard inq. will show on your CR for everyone to see while a soft inq. will only be seen by you.

Am I wrong anyone??
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

BhamGurlyGurl wrote:
Hey, Mike. New here myself and what I gather is a hard inq. will show on your CR for everyone to see while a soft inq. will only be seen by you.

Am I wrong anyone??

That's correct, BhamGurlyGurl.  Also, hard inquiries count against your score for one year, but remain on your report for two years.  Soft inquiries also remain for two years but don't count against your score at all.

Message 3 of 4
sh9730
Regular Contributor

Correct.  Although they both show on your OFFICIAL credit report you get direct from them, only the "hard" inquiries show up on reports others can see, and only hard inquiries cause a minor decrease in your score.  Also, only hard inquiries will show up when you pull your credit reports from here at MyFico.  MyFico is the best (and really only) place to get your true FICO scores, but for most other aspects of your credit report it is really better to get copies direct from the CRAs.  (TU-EX-EQ)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.