Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry

Does a hard inquiry from a collection (DCS) agency inevitably result in a collection being posted to an account? I searched the boards and various forums and from what I can gather DCS is a collection agency for student loans. I do have student loans, but said loans are in deferment and payment begins next month. There's nothing delinquent. I don't undersstand how this can happen. Is there anything I can/should do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hard Inquiry

@Anonymous wrote:

Does a hard inquiry from a collection (DCS) agency inevitably result in a collection being posted to an account? I searched the boards and various forums and from what I can gather DCS is a collection agency for student loans. I do have student loans, but said loans are in deferment and payment begins next month. There's nothing delinquent. I don't undersstand how this can happen. Is there anything I can/should do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Usually but not always. They'll typically proceed by sending a dunning letter to you in the coming days and call too. Once you receive the initial collection letter, send a DV letter in response. In the meantime, wait and keep an eye on your reports. Do some research to, as you already started. See if they collect in other fields too. Also, if you have any baddies reporting, look in your reports to see if any OC accounts or other CAs fell off early. Sometimes that's an indication that the debt was sold.

Message 2 of 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Hard Inquiry

Agreed.

I would add to that make sure your current student loans are reporting as current (no lates) and are in "deferment" status on the CR.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.