Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquiry from ADT???

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Hard inquiry from ADT???

Yesterday I signed up to have a security system installed in our new home and this morning had an inquiry alert that ADT pulled a hard inquiry on EQ.  Anybody had a hard inquiry done by a security company before?  All utilities have ALWAYS been a soft for me.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Hard inquiry from ADT???

I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon and was a bit upset to find Verizon had HP'd EX and TU!

Sprint pulled EQ when I signed up with them years ago too. So far, those are the only "utilities" to HP me. 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 9
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@andre181 wrote:

I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon and was a bit upset to find Verizon had HP'd EX and TU!

Sprint pulled EQ when I signed up with them years ago too. So far, those are the only "utilities" to HP me. 

Sucks! but it seems that everybody does a HP in this day and age.. i went to McDonalds yesterday and they did a HP when i ordered a bigmac... its getting out of hand

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I did, from a company named Vivint.  I contacted them because some guy had come to my door, I told him I was moving and wasn't interested.  Didn't even give him my name.  Next thing I knew I had a HP from them.  Contacted them, they said they do that sometimes to see if people are elligible for their service.   I had it removed, but later found I had a collections from them.  Seems they installed service in the neighbors house under my name.  It's been a huge mess.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 9
TheConductor
Established Contributor

In my experience, the vast majority of post-paid utility/service providers do a hard credit pull.  Only ones in past 5 years I can think of who didn't were the local municipal utility (which never reports even in delinquency) and Public Storage (which is actually pre-paid, plus they have the contents of your unit as collateral).

It's definitely the norm to get pulled by security companies and cell phone networks.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Comcast has HP'd me in the past - the only other option was a refundable security deposit of $100 that I would get back after a year. At the time, I wasn't app'ing for anything so I just took the HP. But, yes I find it unnerving how HP happy utility companies get.

Message 6 of 9
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

Yesterday I signed up to have a security system installed in our new home and this morning had an inquiry alert that ADT pulled a hard inquiry on EQ.  Anybody had a hard inquiry done by a security company before?  All utilities have ALWAYS been a soft for me.

Not quite, but I do have some that I wasn't expecting from last year -- one from Cox Communications for setting up internet service, and one from an apartment complex for "tenant screening." Companies are pulling credit for everything these days.

Message 7 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, there was an ADT rep on here once that talked about this. They let each dealer decide whether or not they want to pull. The pull doesn't come from ADT directly but from whatever 3rd-party service the dealer uses. The same happened to us  last year. Hard pull on EQ and the score was a Beacon 9.0 Eq FICO. IME phone and cable were hard pulls. Cell, gas, water, trash, and electric were not. But as always YMMV. Always expect a hard pull.

Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes it's not even for the scores.   I've been told that some HP just to verify you are who you say you are.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.