cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquiry removal: Is this correct/Legal ??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard inquiry removal: Is this correct/Legal ??

I noticed on my TU credit report 4 hard inquiries for the same date each from different Auto-Finance lenders. I was shopping for a loan at the time and they did each pull a report.

It is my understanding that all inquiries inside a 14 day period are to be reported as a single hard inquiry. Is this correct?

When I called TU the CSR told me to contact each lender even the duplicate pulls from the same lenders and get a letter to remove the hard inquiries in addition to writing a letter of my own?? Should not the burden and responsibility of correctly reporting lay with the CRA?? When I call should they not apologize and correct the reports as inaccurately reported information without having this additional documentation of duplicate hard inquiries??

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard inquiry removal: Is this correct/Legal ??

they are shown individually (must by law since all were from different creditors) but in FICO scoring will count as 1 INQ.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay so I had this same issue when I went to get an automotive loan and only went to one dealer and specifically told him I only wanted my credit pulled once. If I didn't get a loan with the terms I wanted, then I would leave and get my old car fixed. Well he comes back with these multiple results and tells me that its still only one inquiry because they have a bank that pulls my credit and then sends the results to all these other banks which make offers using that. It was stupid, I had EQ 641, EX 652, and TU 591. I had a repossession that was to be removed because I PFD on account that I was the cosigner of and they never called me to tell me it was being repossessed. Well TU was playing around. I told them to not pull from TU. Well I knew they did because they came back with an offer of 12.6% and then 11.75%. That in addition to the fact that they wouldn't give me anything for my 99 rodeo because the transmission had crapped out, made my decision easy.

Well of course I keep a watch on my ScoreWatch and TC accounts. Sure enough, my EQ reports 8 inquiries and my TU reports 2 inquiries. All of which are related to this one visit. I know that according to my FICO scores, it should calculate in as one inquiry. Well, I'm a little worried because nothing in SW shows these as only counting as one. Even when it totals up all of my inquiries it says 13 (5 inq within the last 12 mos and now these 8!). 

Do I dispute it because I told them to only pull once and they negligently pulled from a source that obviously allows others to pull. One reason why I am questioning to dispute is because I am not looking to get new credit for at least 8 months so part of me thinks it'll be better to wait a year and let 'em drop off. I need advice.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lady_Scarlet that makes me 'feel' better.

Whoa!!! was I HOT when the guy at TU told me that it was on me to get them removed.

Especially since 2 of the inquires side by side on the report were from the same lending source of Capital One Auto Finance and at the same exact address. LOL!!!

So the 4 are listed but count as a single pull. I think I can live with that.

Will other lenders like my Texans Credit Union when they pull a report from TU or the others will they then view them in the same manner? OR does it still make an impression?

Scores took a hit this quarter but I am pretty sure that is for High Utilization and Hard Inquiries. I have been apping to get a decent credit line for decreasing my high utilization.
Double Edged sword...??
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.