cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull from Synchrony Bank that I did not authorize?

tag
StihlBilly
Contributor

Hard pull from Synchrony Bank that I did not authorize?

I just got a hard pull yesterday and these were the details associated with it:

Lowes $17K - Capital One Quicksilver Rewards $10K

TU - 704 / EQ - 716
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard pull from Synchrony Bank that I did not authorize?

You should definitely call them and ask why.  

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too got a hard pull from this company when I call the number you got listed it's an automation how can I tLk to a representative
Message 3 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

We can be hard pulled by our creditors ar any time but with the recent Equihack, id investigate and on the safe side maybe freeze your accounts until the dust settles.
Message 4 of 26
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoseCredit....are you sure about the statement "We can be hard pulled by our creditors ar any time..." ?  Hard pulls are only supposed to occur due to "Permissable purposes".  Yes, we CAN get a HP from a creditor at any time, but that does not mean it is permitted. 

OP...definitley call and if necessary write a few letters demanding proof that it was legal and permissible.  It may have been a mistake and they will correct it, but also double/triple your records that you have NOT asked for a CLI, opened a New Account, or an existing account (wither truly yours or fraudulently opened) has gone to collections... that is backed by Synchrony.  Synchrony backs a LOT of cards out there.

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spotsy wrote:

@AverageJoseCredit....are you sure about the statement "We can be hard pulled by our creditors ar any time..." ?  Hard pulls are only supposed to occur due to "Permissable purposes".  Yes, we CAN get a HP from a creditor at any time, but that does not mean it is permitted. 

OP...definitley call and if necessary write a few letters demanding proof that it was legal and permissible.  It may have been a mistake and they will correct it, but also double/triple your records that you have NOT asked for a CLI, opened a New Account, or an existing account (wither truly yours or fraudulently opened) has gone to collections... that is backed by Synchrony.  Synchrony backs a LOT of cards out there.

Yes, they can HP at you any time if you have an account with them. That is all that is needed to meet the permissible requirement.  This has been verified many times by our resident FCRA legal expert, RobertEG and others.  While anyone getting an unexpected HP should make contact with the creditor to see if it was a mistake, all they have to say is we wanted to check your credit and that is sufficient reason.

Message 6 of 26
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Then I respectfully disagree with you and RobertEG.  A creditor cannot HardPull your report at anytime just because you have an account with them. As the OP stated, ithe account was not used for a while and they had not contacted them for any reason. What is the reason for the HP then? This does not pass the legal and permissible test as defined in the FCRA.  If there is a link to another thread at MyFICO that discusses this topic then please share so we can all learn.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spotsy wrote:

Then I respectfully disagree with you and RobertEG.  A creditor cannot HardPull your report at anytime just because you have an account with them. As the OP stated, ithe account was not used for a while and they had not contacted them for any reason. What is the reason for the HP then? This does not pass the legal and permissible test as defined in the FCRA.  If there is a link to another thread at MyFICO that discusses this topic then please share so we can all learn.

Well not to be rude but you're wrong.  You can disagree all you want but RorbertEG specializes in the provisions of the FCRA and is well versed about what has and hasn't been ruled a permissible purpose and he has stated many times that a creditor can HP you at any time if you have an account with them.   Read this link from Experian and note that these are permissible reasons under FCRA 604:

https://www.experian.com/assets/healthcare/fcra-notice-to-consumers-112612.pdf

For the extension of credit as a result of an application from a consumer, or the review or collection of a consumer's account. Section 604(a)(3)(A)

• To review a consumer's account to determine whether the consumer continues to meet the terms of the account. Section 604(a)(3)(F)(ii)

Whether you have used your account or not isn't relevant.  Other factors in your credit history related to other accounts can be reason enough for an existing creditor to do a HP to determine if they still want to extend credit to you or not.  Honestly this point has been discussed many times on the forum and they can do an HP at any time. 

Message 8 of 26
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I have never stated that an existing creditor can make a hard inquiry at any time.

Yes, they have permissible purpose to obtain your credit report under FCRA 604(a)(3)(F)(ii).

However, CRA policy is clearly that inquiries for account review purposes that have not resulted from a consumer-initiated request for credit are recorded as soft pulls.

It was likely a coding error when the inquiry was made.

If it was clearly an internal account review, it will be recoded as soft.

Message 9 of 26
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the clarification....this makes sense.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.