Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard pull vs Soft pull

tag
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Hard pull vs Soft pull

This may sounds like a dumb question but, I've been wondering what the difference is between a soft and a hard pull? I mean, I know the difference but my question is when a lender pulls the report on a soft pull, how does it differ from a hard pull? Are they only able to see only basic information like score, DCR (debt to credit ratio), AAoA, etc? What exact can they NOT see with only a soft pull (if anything)?

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard pull vs Soft pull

They can see everything that you can see when you pull your own credit report through a third party service (also a soft pull).  They cannot see other soft pulls that you would see if you pulled directly from a CRA.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 10
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

They can see everything that you can see when you pull your own credit report through a third party service (also a soft pull).  They cannot see other soft pulls that you would see if you pulled directly from a CRA.

Huh???

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Message 3 of 10
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@Hcontreras wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Huh???

So why would a lender chose to HP if they can see everything on a soft pull?

Now in the garden...
Message 4 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Hcontreras wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Huh???

Its a lender / CRA policy to hard pull people seeking new credit.  Some lenders, such as Amex, have chosen to offer current members the added benefit of choosing to disregard this standard and only use a SP to get the same information.

ETA:  The credit reporting system doesn't work if no one gets inquiries on their reports when they apply for credit.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 10
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Huh???

Its a lender / CRA policy to hard pull people seeking new credit.  Some lenders, such as Amex, have chosen to offer current members the added benefit of choosing to disregard this standard and only use a SP to get the same information.

ETA:  The credit reporting system doesn't work if no one gets inquiries on their reports when they apply for credit.

I'm just wondering why pretty much all do SP for CLI's except for Chase.....

Now in the garden...
Message 6 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

All lenders that I know of do auto-cli based on soft pulls.  When you request a CLI, this is credit-seeking behavior and it is standard to do a hard pull.  Out of my current cards, the only one that I have requested a CLI and recieved a SP is NFCU, and that wasn't the norm at that time for NFCU.  All others were HP.  So I don't think that Chase is in the minority.  Expecting everyone to do SP is like expecting all lenders to backdate their cards... it is possible, but not something that is likely to happen unless it has been corroborated among multiple other cardholders.

Message 7 of 10
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

All lenders that I know of do auto-cli based on soft pulls.  When you request a CLI, this is credit-seeking behavior and it is standard to do a hard pull.  Out of my current cards, the only one that I have requested a CLI and recieved a SP is NFCU, and that wasn't the norm at that time for NFCU.  All others were HP.  So I don't think that Chase is in the minority.  Expecting everyone to do SP is like expecting all lenders to backdate their cards... it is possible, but not something that is likely to happen unless it has been corroborated among multiple other cardholders.

Cap 1, AMEX, do SP when requesting CLI

Now in the garden...
Message 8 of 10
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Discover does both SP and HP for customer initiated CLI requests. So I guess there's a difference. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 9 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Hcontreras wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Cap 1, AMEX, do SP when requesting CLI

Right... sorry, i thought you said that every lender except for Chase did SP.  You are right though, there are a few that do SP normally.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.