Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has CCT become irrelevant?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Has CCT become irrelevant?

I have a CCT account and check my scores/reports regularly, but I'm reading more and more about how mfFICO has a better product. HAs CCT become irrelevent or is it just a personal preference?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has CCT become irrelevant?

I am assuming that you are referring to the monthly version of CCT.  Personally, I think it all depends on the reason you are doing credit monitoring in the first place.  Are you trying to repair/rebuild credit in order to make a major purchase?  If so, I think that MyFICO would be better because of all of the additional scores you get that would be useful.  If you are simply using it for monitoring, there may not be much of a benefit to either one since there are so many free sites that will allow you weekly or monthly updates to your reports and many ways to get free FICO8 scores as well.  In my experience, MyFICO can be slow to alert you to changes, but I prefer it to the others simply for the scores.  Once I buy a house, I will likely cancel my subscription to MyFICO and just rely on the free stuff.  

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I can tell, most of the CCT users here on the forum just sign up for the $1 trial once a month (or less often) and then cancel.  So $1 per month is a pretty amazing deal compared to the much pricier $30/mo at myFICO. 

What may be making all monthly fee services irrelevant is the wide availability of free FICO 8 scores, coupled with the availability of frequent free reports.  The various monthly fee subscriptions will always appeal to some people, but that number is growing smaller.

Message 3 of 15
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I pay $15 a month to CCT for an updated Experian report and score daily and the other two monthly.  If I'm reading the product description of MyFICO Ultimate 3b correctly you pay monthly but only get scores quarterly.  But you do get many more scores than CCT's FICO 8's only.  When the time comes and I'm looking at making a house purchase I might go with MyFICO but for now CCT does everything I'm looking for.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, CCT has not become irrelevant.  IMO, CCT $1 trials are one of the GOAT products when it comes to credit.  I don't know much about their monthly memberships, but as CGID mentioned, many people like myself just use the $1 trials and that's it.  For $1, getting your 3B reports and FICO 08 scores twice is an amazing value.  Unlike monthly services that may provide you with a FICO score, with CCT $1 trials you can pull your scores both before and after the date that you know a change may be happening to your credit report, so you get a true before and after score.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I can tell, most of the CCT users here on the forum just sign up for the $1 trial once a month (or less often) and then cancel.  So $1 per month is a pretty amazing deal compared to the much pricier $30/mo at myFICO. 

What may be making all monthly fee services irrelevant is the wide availability of free FICO 8 scores, coupled with the availability of frequent free reports.  The various monthly fee subscriptions will always appeal to some people, but that number is growing smaller.

^^^This. 

MyFico has a much nicer product/user interface in my book. When I choose to have a paid subscription service, it's my #1 choice.

When I don't have any upcoming apps, I rely on free services and one $1 CCT trial per month.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I don't have any upcoming apps, I rely on free services and one $1 CCT trial per month.

When you say upcoming apps, are you referring to loan apps or even revolver apps?  Just curious.  I could see the benefit of a myFICO subscription for all of their score varieties if apping for a loan, but I'm not sure I'd see any benefit when applying for a credit card over simply doing a CCT $1 trial a few days before a planned app.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When you say upcoming apps, are you referring to loan apps or even revolver apps?  Just curious.  I could see the benefit of a myFICO subscription for all of their score varieties if apping for a loan, but I'm not sure I'd see any benefit when applying for a credit card over simply doing a CCT $1 trial a few days before a planned app.

Both loan and revolver apps. Not even for the variety of the scores. You're right that CCT would be just fine when prepping to app for a revolver.  Better said, if I'm going to really be watching my credit consistently for a couple of months, I like MyFico's UI and alerts better.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha.  Are myFICO alerts any better than the alerts provided by the free services available like CK, CS, etc?  I've always been happy with the alerts I receive from free services, but since I've never had a myFICO subscription I'm not sure if they are any "better" from MF.

Message 9 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I took inquiries on TransUnion and Experian yesterday. I got alerts almost immediately from WalletHub, freecreditscore.com, Credit Karma, and Capital One CreditWise. I have yet to hear from myFICO.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.