Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has CCT become irrelevant?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has CCT become irrelevant?

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I took inquiries on TransUnion and Experian yesterday. I got alerts almost immediately from WalletHub, freecreditscore.com, Credit Karma, and Capital One CreditWise. I have yet to hear from myFICO.

Interesting.  I guess that's one more knock against getting a myFICO membership if it can't even compete with the free services in terms of alerts.

Message 11 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The alert for the Experian inquiry flew in about an hour ago.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha.  Are myFICO alerts any better than the alerts provided by the free services available like CK, CS, etc?  I've always been happy with the alerts I receive from free services, but since I've never had a myFICO subscription I'm not sure if they are any "better" from MF.

They're usually slower to report, but better in the sense that you can see your actual FICO score update based on whatever changed in the alert. 

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They're usually slower to report, but better in the sense that you can see your actual FICO score update based on whatever changed in the alert. 

This is a big and common misconception on this forum.  When you receive an alert, you receive a score update based on your profile at that moment in time.  Any number of other things may have changed between your last score and current score that have absolutely nothing to do with the alertable event.  Yes, the alert will be taken into consideration for the score update, but that event may not have any actual impact on score.

Example:  Someone has their only major baddie age off their credit report on Monday.  They do not receive a MF alert because of this.  On Wednesday, they pay off a credit card that had a $5 balance to $0.  On Thursday they receive a MF alert because they paid off a credit card and a new score is given.  This person's score may have gone up 70 points, but it's all because of the major baddie falling off.  If the person goes by just the alert, they'd believe that paying off a $5 balance on a CC results in a 70 point gain, when in actuality the chances of it impacting score at all are slim. 

Message 14 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just to give an example, my Experian score increased a couple of weeks ago, possibly due an inquiry aging or year-old accounts aging. myFICO didn't notice that change because none of that was alertable. I found out about the score change from another service. A few days later, a myFICO alert for a balance change came in along with the score change. What wouldn't have been apparent through watching only myFICO was that the score had changed a few days before the balance change or the alert.

By the way, there's still no myFICO alert for my TransUnion pull yesterday afternoon.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.