cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen rental history on his credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone seen rental history on his credit report?

A frequent poster on this forum, SouthJamaica, recently reminded us that FICO has stated that:

Rental history, when it’s reported, factors into the score—this may be especially beneficial for people with a limited credit history

for the new FICO 9.

This got me to wondering how common it actually is for rental history to appear on any of the three credit reports.  I have rented with multiple landlords (all big companies, not private individuals) in the last ten years and am still a renter: and yet I have never seen this appear on one of the Big Three (EQ, TU, EX).  There are smaller CRAs that specialize in rental history, but the FICO score (as I understand it) is only run on information from the Big Three.

Does anyone know how common rental history is on credit reports?  Curious to hear from any other renters on here.

Are big landlords planning to begin reporting more in 2016 and 2017?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen rental history on his credit report?

@Anonymous wrote:

A frequent poster on this forum, SouthJamaica, recently reminded us that FICO has stated that:

Rental history, when it’s reported, factors into the score—this may be especially beneficial for people with a limited credit history

for the new FICO 9.

This got me to wondering how common it actually is for rental history to appear on any of the three credit reports.  I have rented with multiple landlords (all big companies, not private individuals) in the last ten years and am still a renter: and yet I have never seen this appear on one of the Big Three (EQ, TU, EX).  There are smaller CRAs that specialize in rental history, but the FICO score (as I understand it) is only run on information from the Big Three.

Does anyone know how common rental history is on credit reports?  Curious to hear from any other renters on here.

Are big landlords planning to begin reporting more in 2016 and 2017?

I certainly wish it was included along with utilities, etc. You can get slammed if you don't pay but don't get any "credit" when you do?? It's not fair in that regard. IMHO if you can get slammed on your reports for something then when you do meet the obligations of that agreement (cable, electric, rent, etc)  it should help your reports/scores. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.