cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Consumer Loan on Credit Report is BAD?

tag
waiter
Regular Contributor

Having Consumer Loan on Credit Report is BAD?

I have 2.... 1 from lending club and 1 from prosper....

Untitled.png

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Having Consumer Loan on Credit Report is BAD?

Yes, as it says, having a loan from a finance company is a negative in FICO scoring models.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just took a loan out from prosper. I was told this reports as installment. 

Message 3 of 25
princesstooth
New Contributor

That's interesting. My Lending Club loan just reported and my score shot up 16 points.
Message 4 of 25
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Loans from lending club and prosper are normally associated with people who can not get a traditional loan. I personally don't believe that but I guess that effects your FICO score, which is news to me
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waiter wrote:

I have 2.... 1 from lending club and 1 from prosper....

Untitled.png

How much are your loans for and what is your intrest? I was just reading they report differently for different loans. Do you remember the grade you got when you wre approved? My loan from prosper hasn't reported yet. I really hope my sc ores don't take a hit.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a shame.

While I don't wanna put a new couch (could be as much as $2,000), on one of our CC's and deepen our UTL%, I may go with this option vs opening a store card or using one of the available financing plans.

Message 7 of 25
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. It is both a positive (active tradeline, installment loan for a better 'mix' of credit types, etc) and a negative (New credit, a Finance company account, etc)

If it was an installment loan from a Bank or Credit Union, that would have been better. How much better... is open for debate. FICO just uses Finance companies as an example of a lender that is also considered a negative factor. 

Total $443,800
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right. It is both a positive (active tradeline, installment loan for a better 'mix' of credit types, etc) and a negative (New credit, a Finance company account, etc)

If it was an installment loan from a Bank or Credit Union, that would have been better. How much better... is open for debate. FICO just uses Finance companies as an example of a lender that is also considered a negative factor. 

Ok so as I make my payments and once it's no longer a new line my scores will be positively affected? Just not as much as if it was from a different lender? I don't see where the difference is. From what I read from OP it seems they are saying you would be better off without it on your reports

Message 9 of 25
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so as I make my payments and once it's no longer a new line my scores will be positively affected? Just not as much as if it was from a different lender? I don't see where the difference is. From what I read from OP it seems they are saying you would be better off without it on your reports

Having a Finance company show up on your credit reports is always going to be a negative. Having only credit cards, with no Installment or morgage or etc, is always a negative. I suspect the installment loans affect the Bankcard adjusted fico scores less than, say, a car loan or maybe an insurance score. But we have no way of knowing. Between different types of targeted fico scores, different buckets, different mix of credit, etc, etc, trying to say exactly how negative a particular negative is, just isn't possible.

Sometimes, removing a negative item from your reports actually causes your scores to drop (you were top dog in a bad bucket, now you are low dog in a bucket full of people with no negatives on your report), etc. In other words, anyone who knows the fico answers for sure, is sadly mistaken.

Total $443,800
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.